The North Saskatchewan Regiment

The official lineage of The North Saskatchewan Regiment infantry regiment.

Badge

Badge

Description

A bugle horn Argent embellished its strings surmounted by a ribbon Or inscribed NORTH SASKATCHEWAN in letters Gules, the whole ensigned by the Royal Crown proper.

Symbolism

The design is an expression of fealty to the Crown and commemorates the former units that were amalgamated in 1955 to form the regiment. The light infantry bugle suspended by strings was the device of The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers and the Crown surmounted the devices on the badge worn by The Saskatoon Light Infantry. "NORTH SASKATCHEWAN" is a form of the regimental title.

Motto

CEDE NULLIS (Yield to None)

Marches

"The Jockey of York"

For Pipe Band

"The Meeting of the Waters"

Alliance

British Army

The Rifles

Regimental colour

Regimental colour

Camp flag

Camp flag

Battle honours

North West Rebellion

NORTH WEST CANADA, 1885.

The First World War

YPRES, 1915, '17; Gravenstafel; St. Julien; FESTUBERT, 1915; MOUNT SORREL; SOMME, 1916; Flers-Courcelette; Thiepval; Ancre Heights; ARRAS, 1917, '18; Vimy, 1917; Arleux; HILL 70; Passchendaele; AMIENS; Scarpe, 1918; Drocourt-Quéant; HINDENBURG LINE; Canal du Nord; Cambrai, 1918; VALENCIENNES; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915-18.

The Second World War

LANDING IN SICILY; Valguarnera; Agira; ADRANO; SICILY, 1943; The Gully; Ortona; CASSINO II; Gustav Line; LIRI VALLEY; Hitler Line; GOTHIC LINE; LAMONE CROSSING; RIMINI LINE; Cesena; Savio Bridgehead; Naviglio Canal; Fosso Vecchio; Fosso Munio; ITALY, 1943-1945; Apeldoorn; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1945.

Note:

Two of the units which were amalgamated to form this regiment (16th Canadian Light Horse and The Prince Albert Volunteers) possessed the battle honour PURSUIT TO MONS from the First World War, but this honour cannot be perpetuated if a regiment is entitled to the honour VALENCIENNES or SAMBRE. One of these honours was gained by the regiment upon the amalgamations.

Lineage

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 3 July 1905 and incorporates the following regiments and engineer company.

The North Saskatchewan Regiment originated in Regina, Saskatchewan on 3 July 1905, when 'The 16th Mounted Rifles' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: 'The 16th Light Horse' on 1 October 1908;Footnote 2 and '16th Canadian Light Horse' on 15 March 1920.Footnote 3 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'The Saskatchewan Mounted Rifles' (see below) and redesignated the '16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse'.Footnote 4 It was redesignated '16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse (Reserve)' on 7 November 1940.Footnote 5 On 1 April 1941, the regiment was converted to infantry and redesignated the '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, 16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse'.Footnote 6 It was redesignated '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Battleford Light Infantry (16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse)' on 1 May 1941;Footnote 7 and 'The Battleford Light Infantry (16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse) (Reserve)' on 15 September 1944.Footnote 8 On 1 April 1946, it was amalgamated with the '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Prince Albert Volunteers' (see below) and redesignated 'The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers'.Footnote 9 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '50th Field Squadron, RCE' (see below) and redesignated 'The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers (Machine Gun)'.Footnote 10 On 17 February 1955, it was amalgamated with 'The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun)' (see below) and redesignated 'The North Saskatchewan Regiment (Machine Gun)'.Footnote 11 It was redesignated 'The North Saskatchewan Regiment' on 11 April 1958.Footnote 12

Notes:

On 1 November 1920, the 16th Canadian Light Horse was organized as a two regiment unit with the 1st Regiment on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Regiment on the Reserve order of battle (GO 185/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 16th Canadian Light Horse was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 March 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 128/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

On 16 March 1932, the 16th Canadian Light Horse was authorized to perpetuate the 'Moose Mountain Scouts' (GO 38/32).

The 16th Canadian Light Horse was disbanded for the purpose amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 175/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

On 17 February 1955, 'The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers (Machine Gun)' and 'The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun)' were amalgamated and organized as a two battalion unit (see above) with the '1st Battalion, The North Saskatchewan Regiment (The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers) (Machine Gun)' and the '2nd Battalion, The North Saskatchewan Regiment (The Saskatoon Light Infantry) (Machine Gun)' on the Reserve Force order of battle (CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 429/55). On 11 April 1958, the '(Machine Gun)' secondary titles were removed from the battalion designations (CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 596/58).

On 1 September 1970, the '1st Battalion, The North Saskatchewan Regiment (The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers)' and the '2nd Battalion, The North Saskatchewan Regiment (The Saskatoon Light Infantry)' were amalgamated (see above) (CFOO 70/15).

The Saskatchewan Mounted Rifles originated in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan on 2 March 1908, when the 'Saskatchewan Light Horse' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 13 It was redesignated: '22nd Saskatchewan Light Horse' on 1 April 1908;Footnote 14 and 'The Saskatchewan Mounted Rifles' on 15 March 1920.Footnote 15 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '16th Canadian Light Horse', as above.

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Saskatchewan Mounted Rifles on 15 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a three regiment unit with the 1st Regiment (1st Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, the 2nd Regiment (9th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) and the 3rd Regiment (10th Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle

On 15 November 1926, the 2nd Regiment was redesignated the 2nd Regiment (9th Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF) and the 3rd Regiment the 3rd Regiment (10th Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF) (GO 74/26). The reserve units were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Saskatchewan Mounted Rifles were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 September 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 230/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Saskatchewan Mounted Rifles were disbanded for the purpose amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 175/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The 50th Field Squadron originated in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan on 5 June 1947, when the '50th Field Squadron, RCE' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 16 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with 'The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers', as above.

The Prince Albert Volunteers originated in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan on 1 April 1912, when the '105th Regiment' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 17 It was redesignated: '105th Regiment "Fusiliers"' on 16 September 1912;Footnote 18 and '105th Regiment (Saskatoon Fusiliers)' on 15 April 1914.Footnote 19 On 15 March 1920, it was amalgamated with the '52nd Regiment Prince Albert Volunteers' (see below) and redesignated 'The North Saskatchewan Regiment'.Footnote 20 On 15 May 1924, it was reorganized as four separate regiments, designated: 'The Yorkton Regiment' (now the '64th Field Battery, 10th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA'); 'The Saskatoon Light Infantry' (see below); 'The Battleford Light Infantry'; and 'The Prince Albert Volunteers'.Footnote 21 On 15 December 1936, 'The Prince Albert Volunteers' and 'The Battleford Light Infantry' were amalgamated and redesignated 'The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers'.Footnote 22 It was redesignated: 'The Prince Albert Volunteers' on 1 May 1941;Footnote 23 and '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Prince Albert Volunteers' on 5 March 1942.Footnote 24 On 1 April 1946, it was amalgamated with 'The Battleford Light Infantry (16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse) (Reserve)', as above.

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The North Saskatchewan Regiment on 15 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as an eight battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (5th Battalion, CEF), 2nd Battalion (Prince Albert Volunteers), 3rd Battalion (no CEF designation) and 4th Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 5th Battalion (65th Battalion, CEF), 6th Battalion (96th Battalion, CEF) and 7th Battalion (188th Battalion, CEF) and 8th Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle.

On 1 January 1922, the 2nd Battalion was redesignated the 2nd Battalion (53rd Battalion, CEF) (GO 14/22).

The North Saskatchewan Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 April 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 157/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

Upon reorganization on 15 May 1924 (see above), The Prince Albert Volunteers were organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (53rd Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (188th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. On 15 September 1924, the 2nd Battalion (188th Battalion, CEF) was redesignated the '2nd Battalion' (no CEF designation) (GO 212/24). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

Upon reorganization on 15 May 1924 (see above), The Battleford Light Infantry was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (232nd Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

On 1 July 1932, The Battleford Light Infantry were authorized to perpetuate the 'Infantry Company, Battleford, Saskatchewan' of 1885 (GO 78/32).

The Prince Albert Volunteers and The Battleford Light Infantry were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 136/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiments.

The Saskatoon Light Infantry originated in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan on 1 April 1912 when the '105th Regiment' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 25 It was redesignated: '105th Regiment "Fusiliers"' on 16 September 1912;Footnote 26 and '105th Regiment (Saskatoon Fusiliers)' on 15 April 1914.Footnote 27 On 15 March 1920, it was amalgamated with the '52nd Regiment Prince Albert Volunteers' (see below) and redesignated 'The North Saskatchewan Regiment'.Footnote 28 On 15 May 1924, it was reorganized as four separate regiments, designated: 'The Yorkton Regiment' (now the '64th Field Battery, 10th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA'); 'The Battleford Light Infantry' (see above); 'The Prince Albert Volunteers' (see above); and 'The Saskatoon Light Infantry'.Footnote 29 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with 'C Company' of the '12th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (now 'The Royal Regina Rifles') and redesignated 'The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun)'.Footnote 30 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun)' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 31 and 'The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun)' on 1 November 1945.Footnote 32 On 17 February 1955, it was amalgamated with 'The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers (Machine Gun), as above.

Notes:

Upon reorganization on 15 May 1924 (see above), The Saskatoon Light Infantry was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (5th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (65th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Saskatoon Light Infantry was disbanded for the purpose amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 194/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The perpetuation of the 12th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (1919- 1936) was assigned to 'The Regina Rifle Regiment' (GO 149/37).

On 17 February 1955, 'The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers (Machine Gun)' and 'The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun)' were amalgamated and organized as a two battalion unit (see above) with the '1st Battalion, The North Saskatchewan Regiment (The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers) (Machine Gun)' and the '2nd Battalion, The North Saskatchewan Regiment (The Saskatoon Light Infantry) (Machine Gun)' on the Reserve Force order of battle (CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 429/55). On 11 April 1958, the '(Machine Gun)' secondary titles were removed from the battalion designations (CAO 76-3, Pt 'B', Supp Issue No. 596/58).

The 52nd Regiment "Prince Albert Volunteers" originated in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan on 2 January 1913, when an "Infantry Corps, consisting of 8 companies" was authorized to be formed.Footnote 33 It was designated the '52nd Regiment "Prince Albert Volunteers"' on 1 February 1913.Footnote 34 On 15 March 1920, it was amalgamated with the '105th Regiment (Saskatoon Fusiliers)', as above.

Perpetuations

'Moose Mountain Scouts' of 1885; 'Infantry Company, Battleford Saskatchewan' of 1885; '1st Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF', '9th' and '10th Regiment(s), Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF'; and '5th', '53rd', '65th' and '232nd "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'

Headquarters Location

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Operational history

North West Rebellion

The 'Infantry Company at Battleford' was raised for active service on 10 April 1885.Footnote 35 The company served with the Battleford Column of the North West Field Force.Footnote 36 It was disbanded on 18 September 1885.Footnote 37

The 'Moose Mountain Scouts' were raised for active service on 24 April 1885.Footnote 38 The unit served with the Line of Communication Troops of the North West Field Force.Footnote 39 It was disbanded on 18 September 1885.Footnote 40

The First World War

Details from The 16th Light Horse were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.Footnote 41

Details from the 52nd Regiment "Prince Albert Volunteers" were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.Footnote 42

Details from the 105th Regiment (Saskatoon Fusiliers) were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.Footnote 43

The 1st Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '1st Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF',Footnote 44 embarked for Great Britain on 12 June 1915.Footnote 45 It disembarked in France on 22 September 1915,Footnote 46 where it fought as part of the 1st Brigade Canadian Mounted Rifles until 1 January 1916, when it was converted to infantry, allocated to the 8th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division and redesignated '1st Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF'.Footnote 47 The battalion was disbanded on 15 November 1920.Footnote 48

The 9th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '9th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF',Footnote 49 embarked for Great Britain on 23 November 1915.Footnote 50 Its personnel were absorbed by the 'Canadian Cavalry Reserve Depot, CEF' and the '1st' and '5th Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF' on 31 January 1916 to provide reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 51 The regiment was disbanded on 15 November 1920.Footnote 52

The 10th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '10th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF',Footnote 53 embarked for Great Britain on 28 April 1916.Footnote 54 Its personnel were absorbed by the 'Canadian Cavalry Reserve Depot, CEF' on 22 May 1916 to provide reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 55 The regiment was disbanded on 17 July 1917.Footnote 56

The 5th Battalion, which was authorized on 10 August 1914 as the '5th Battalion, CEF',Footnote 57 embarked for Great Britain on 29 September 1915.Footnote 58 It disembarked in France on 14 February 1915, where it fought as part of the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 59 The battalion was disbanded on 15 September 1920.Footnote 60

The 53rd Battalion, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '53rd Battalion, CEF',Footnote 61 embarked for Great Britain on 29 March 1916.Footnote 62 It provided reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field until it was disbanded on 12 October 1917.Footnote 63

The 65th Battalion, which was authorized on 20 April 1915 as the '65th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 64 embarked for Great Britain on 18 June 1916.Footnote 65 Its personnel were absorbed by various units of the 4th Canadian Division on 30 June 1916.Footnote 66 The battalion was disbanded on 12 October 1917.Footnote 67

The 232nd Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '232nd "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 68 embarked for Great Britain on 18 April 1917.Footnote 69 Its personnel were absorbed by the '15th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 29 April and 9 June 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 70 The battalion was disbanded on 12 October 1917.Footnote 71

The Second World War

The 16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse mobilized the '16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.Footnote 72 It was redesignated: '20th Reconnaissance Battalion (16/22 Saskatchewan Horse), CAC, CASF' on 26 January 1942;Footnote 73 and '20th Army Tank Regiment (16/22 Saskatchewan Horse), CAC, CASF' on 15 May 1942.Footnote 74 On 16 June 1943 it embarked for Great Britain.Footnote 75 The battalion was disbanded on 1 November 1943.Footnote 76

Details from The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers, CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.Footnote 77 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.Footnote 78 The regiment subsequently mobilized the '1st Battalion, The Prince Albert Volunteers, CASF' for active service on 5 March 1942.Footnote 79 It served in Canada in a home defence role as part of the 15th and 19th Infantry Brigades.Footnote 80 The battalion was disbanded on 30 November 1945.Footnote 81

Details from The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun) were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun), CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.Footnote 82 The details called out on active service were disbanded on 31 December 1940.Footnote 83 The regiment subsequently mobilized 'The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun), CASF' for active service on 1 September 1939.Footnote 84 It was redesignated: '1st Battalion, The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun), CASF' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 85 '1st Infantry Division Support Battalion (The Saskatoon Light Infantry), CIC, CASF' on 1 May 1943;Footnote 86 and '1st Battalion, The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun), CASF' on 1 July 1944.Footnote 87 The battalion embarked for Great Britain on 8 December 1939.Footnote 88 It participated in the expedition to Spitzbergen on 25 August 1941, and it landed in Sicily on 10 July and Italy on 3 September of 1943 as part of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division.Footnote 89 The unit landed in France on 4 March 1945, on its way to the North West Europe theatre of operations in which it served until the end of the war.Footnote 90 The overseas battalion was disbanded on 15 October 1945.Footnote 91

On 1 June 1945 the 'The Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun)' mobilized three cannon companies for active service with the Canadian Army Pacific Force.Footnote 92 These companies were disbanded on 1 November 1945.Footnote 93

PDF version, 1.6 MB

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: