Quebec Symposium on the Canadian Defence and Security Market Opens Today
October 22, 2018 – Boucherville, Quebec – Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED), in partnership with Aéro Montréal and STIQ, today kicked off the fourth Symposium on the Canadian Defence and Security Market under the theme “Develop Your Export Markets.”
Event at a glance
- Charles Bouchard, Lockheed Martin Canada’s chief executive, will give the opening remarks, with an overview of key defence export markets and a look at some of his firm’s success stories.
- Normand Lalonde, Soucy Defence’s vice president of business development, will give a lecture on his firm’s operations, its export challenges, and lessons it has learned over the years.
- The Symposium on the Canadian Defence and Security Market brings together prime contractors, OEMs, and SMEs to help line up Quebec, its firms, and its research bodies with business opportunities in the defence and security sector.
- The event also brings firms up to date on federal procurement initiatives and explores market diversification in the defence sector.
- Key Government of Canada stakeholders (Public Services and Procurement Canada; Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada; Department of National Defence; Canadian Armed Forces; Canadian Coast Guard; etc.) will attend and may be available to speak with participants.
- The Symposium will also have theme-based workshops, plenary meetings, and networking sessions.
“The Symposium on the Canadian Defence and Security Market gives a great boost to Quebec firms that work in this sector. By bringing together key industry players, the event fuels discussion and drives business opportunities that benefit the whole Canadian economy.”
The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for CED
“In defence and security sector, Government of Canada will undertake major multi-year procurement projects whose prime contractors will need qualified suppliers, giving our SMEs a chance to excel through innovative products, cutting-edge expertise, first-rate service, and competitive prices. Our supplier directory shows that more than 400 Quebec firms already operate in this sector. Other top SMEs in aerospace, shipbuilding, ground transport, and relevant fields could also meet the needs of major contractors and OEMs. Today’s event will give our SMEs a boost and help them profit from opportunities in the defence and security sector.”
Richard Blanchet, President and Chief Executive Officer, STIQ
“The defence and security sector is a growing source of lucrative opportunities for Quebec’s aerospace SMEs. Quebec today holds some 20% of Canada’s aerospace defence market. By comparison, Quebec’s aerospace sector (all segments combined) accounts for just over 50% of the Canadian market. Recent federal defence spending and SME funding has opened a window of opportunity that our province’s firms cannot ignore.”
Suzanne Benoît, President, Aéro Montréal
- Aéro Montréal
Manager, Communications and Media Relations
Cindy Mc Culloch
Communications and Partnerships Coordinator
- Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: