Key messages and facts
I am honoured to have been given this opportunity to serve the people of Canada as Minister of _______________.
Canadians gave our government a mandate to make life more affordable, build stronger and healthier families and help workers get ahead.
I will get right to work with my department to implement our agenda.
I also look forward to working with my provincial counterparts and stakeholders across the country to provide Canadians with the tools they need to succeed in a changing world.
- ESDC spent $130.3 billion in 2018 and 2019 to deliver policies, programs and services, representing 35% of total federal government spending.
- 93.6% ($122 billion) of ESDC expenditures provided direct benefits to Canadians, corresponding to 5.5% of Canada’s GDP, and a further 2.6% ($3.3 billion) was transferred to provinces and territories.
- ESDC is the fourth-largest federal government department and has over 25,000 employees working across Canada.
- There are 318 Service Canada Centres and hundreds more points of service.
How ESDC serves Canadians
- Ensures Canadians can use their talents, skills and abilities to learn, work and participate in their communities.
- Supports Canadians through all stages of life, from early childhood to post-secondary education, from the workplace and into retirement.
- Provides income support for seniors, families with children, and people who lose their jobs, have an illness or care for a loved one.
- Helps Canadians who have distinct needs, such as Indigenous people, people with disabilities, those who are homeless and recent immigrants.
- Promotes safe, fair, healthy and inclusive workplaces and encourages cooperative working relationships and labour standards at home and abroad.
- Offers mediation services to ensure labour relations stability.
- Delivers programs and services on behalf of other departments and agencies (for example, passports).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: