Solicited call for funding to support workers and employers towards economic recovery - Sectoral Workforce Solutions Program - Closed
On this page
Current status: Closed
You could apply between January 31, 2022 to March 4, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Note: Only solicited organizations could apply.
The Sectoral Workforce Solutions Program (SWSP) helps key sectors of the economy to develop and implement solutions to address current and emerging workforce needs.
The Program will support projects that focus on a range of industry-driven activities such as training and reskilling workers, helping employers retain and attract a skilled and diverse workforce and other creative solutions to help sectors address labour market needs. Applicants are encouraged to collaborate with other sectoral stakeholders and provincial or territorial governments to implement wide-scale industry solutions.
Eligible organizations could apply for a project for a minimum of $5,000,000 up to a maximum of $50,000,000. We expect that projects will begin as early as summer 2022 and must end by March 31, 2024.
The objective of this competitive solicited call was to provide support to organizations to implement industry solutions that support skills and employment needs.
The funding will support projects that focus on one or more of the following 3 policy areas:
- Building talent for the clean economy
- Supporting demand-driven solutions for sectors hardest hit by the pandemic and those key to recovery
- Investing in the health care sector
All projects should include diversity and inclusion principles in their design. We will give priority to applications that demonstrate how their proposal will increase the participation of equity-deserving groups in their sector or sectors. Equity-deserving groups include:
- Persons with disabilities
- Indigenous Peoples
- Black Canadians, and other racialized communities
- Newcomers, and
- LGBTQ2 communities
Organizations solicited for funding
We determined that a solicited call for proposals was the most effective process. We identified the organizations and invited them to apply under this funding for the following reasons:
- their existing network of employers
- their knowledge of the key sectors identified
- their capacity and readiness to establish a project quickly and demonstrate how activities will be undertaken promptly
This is a solicited call for proposals. It was open only to organizations invited by Employment and Social Development Canada.
Note to organizations located and operating in Quebec
Ministère du Conseil Exécutif (M-30)
The Quebec National Assembly adopted An Act respecting the Ministère du Conseil exécutif (M-30). The provisions of this Act include certain conditions on Quebec government bodies and certain other entities wanting to contract with the federal government. You may wish to consult the provisions of M-30 at the following website prior to submitting your Application for Funding to ensure compliance with the Act respecting the Ministère du Conseil exécutif (M-30). Any entity that is subject to the Act is responsible for obtaining such authorization before signing any agreement with the Government of Canada.
Organizations must have been one of the following:
- Not-for-profit organization
- For-profit organization
- Municipal government
- Indigenous organization, including:
- band council
- tribal council
- self-government entity
- Provincial and territorial government body, such as:
- Crown corporation
We accepted proposals from solicited organizations who:
- had capacity and readiness to establish a project quickly and demonstrate how activities will be undertaken promptly
- had an in-depth knowledge of skills issues in a sector or multiple sectors, for example:
- current and upcoming labour market needs
- sector-specific labour market information
- labour market forecasts
- cross-sectoral common needs and challenges
- had established partnerships with national, provincial, and/or regional sectoral stakeholders. These partnerships could include cross-sectoral partners, to ensure that projects were employer or industry-driven and met sectoral needs
We will not automatically fund the identified organizations. As this is a competitive process, we will only consider for funding those that submit a proposal.
If you have questions, please email us at EDSC.PSMS-SWSP.ESDC@servicecanada.gc.ca.
- Date modified: