Share your thoughts: Implementation Framework for a Right to a Healthy Environment in the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999
Current status: Open
A discussion document on the Implementation Framework for a Right to a Healthy Environment under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA) was published on February 8, 2024. The document is open for a 60-day public comment period ending on April 8, 2024.
The comments received during this period will be considered when developing the draft implementation framework.
On June 13, 2023, CEPA was updated with the first set of comprehensive amendments since the Act was enacted over 20 years ago. CEPA is the cornerstone of Canada’s environmental legislation to reduce pollution and protect the environment and human health. With these changes, the Government of Canada recognizes that every individual in Canada has a right to a healthy environment as provided under the Act.
Environment and Climate Change Canada and Health Canada have developed a discussion document on the right to a healthy environment under CEPA and the key elements being considered for the implementation framework. The discussion document includes a series of questions throughout.
The framework will elaborate on:
- Principles to be considered in the administration of CEPA including environmental justice, intergenerational equity and non-regression.
- Research, studies and monitoring in support of the right to a healthy environment.
- Relevant factors to be taken into account when interpreting and applying the right and in determining the reasonable limits to which it is subject, such as social, health, scientific, and economic factors.
- Mechanisms to support protection of the right when making decisions under CEPA.
Join in: How to participate
You are invited to review the Discussion Document on the Implementation Framework for a Right to a Healthy Environment under CEPA and submit your responses to the questions and provide comments to inform the development of the implementation framework.
Send an email with your responses, ideas or comments using the contact information below.
Send a letter with your responses, ideas or comments to the address in the contact information below.
Please include “Consultation – Discussion Document” in the subject line of your email or letter.
Privacy Notice Statement
The personal information is collected under the authority of subsection 7(1) of the Financial Administration Act and section 5 of the Department of the Environment Act.
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) is seeking your comments on its discussion document on the Implementation Framework for a Right to a Health Environment under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA). The objective is to produce a report entitled “What We Heard Report” and have it published on the Canada.ca website. Your participation and decision to answer consultation questions is voluntary.
The personal information created, held or collected by Environment and Climate Change Canada is protected under the Privacy Act. The information will be provided to ECCC and disseminated into progress reports. Information in the progress reports will be used, disclosed and retained in accordance with the conditions listed in the Personal Information Bank Outreach Activities PSU 938.
Any questions or comments regarding this privacy notice may be directed to Environment and Climate Change Canada’s Access to Information and Privacy Division at ECATIP-ECAIPRP@ec.gc.ca. If you are not satisfied that we have adequately respected your privacy, you have a right to file a complaint. You may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada by calling their information center at 1-800-282-1376 or by visiting their contact page.
Who is the focus of this consultation
We would like to hear from:
- A diverse range of industry sectors implicated by CEPA decision-making:
- Indigenous Peoples
- Non-governmental organizations
- Interested Canadians
- Federal, provincial and municipal governmental organizations
- Discussion Document on the Implementation Framework for a Right to a Healthy Environment under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999
- Advancing Environmental Equity
- A Right to a Healthy Environment under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999
Right to a Healthy Environment Implementation Framework Team
Legislative and Regulatory Affairs Directorate
Environment and Climate Change Canada
351 Saint-Joseph Boulevard
Gatineau QC K1A 0H3
- Date modified: