Transboundary notification: York Energy Centre
(1) Name and address of proponent:
York Energy Centre LP, Suite 2250, 350-7Th Avenue SW, Calgary, AB T2P 3N9
(2) Latitude and longitude of proposed facility:
44o 04’ 32” N, 79o 31’54” W
(3) Distance to the Canada/U.S. border:
(4) Brief description of the proposed project (major products, process, capacity, etc):
The York Energy Centre (YEC) is a modern natural gas-fired simple cycle gas turbine generation facility that will produce electricity for the Ontario electrical grid. The facility will operate as a peaking facility to provide electricity during times of peak demand in northern York Region. The simple cycle design of the facility provides for a short start-up time; achieving full capacity within 30 minutes. The facility will utilize two gas turbine packages (Siemens SG6-5000F) to generate approximately 400 MW of electrical power (subject to ambient conditions). The electricity is generated at 16.5 kV, for transformation to 230kV and will be connected to the nearby 230kV transmission system.
The base SGT6-5000F gas turbine package is equipped with ultra low-NOx (ULN) combustors to control NOx emissions. The facility will also install continuous emissions monitoring system (CEMS) to continuously monitor and record the concentrations of nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide and oxygen on the gas turbine exhaust stack to ensure that emissions remain in compliance with provincial and federal emission standards.
(5) For combustion processes, list capacity (tonnes/year), fuel type and grade:
Capacity: 3.58 X 107 MMBtu/year, Fuel Type: Natural gas, Fuel Grade: Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc.
(6) Contact for technical and design information:
Amir A. Irvani, Dillon Consulting Limited
Phone Number: (416) 229-4647, ext. 2320
Fax Number: (416) 229-4692
(7) Estimated annual quantities of the following pollutants released to the atmosphere (tonnes per year):
SO2 : 1.7 tonnes/year
PM : 2.1 tonnes/year
NOx : 41 tonnes/year (equivalent to NO2)
VOC : 0.5 tonnes/year
CO : 139 tonnes/year
Note: These are maximum annual rates based on a 3% load during the first year of operation in 2011. The total maximum quantities of VOCs provided above, are based on U.S. EPA AP 42 emission factors. All other quantities are based on manufacturer data.
SO2 : 8.3 tonnes/year
PM : 10.7 tonnes/year
NOx : 202 tonnes/year (equivalent to NO2)
VOC : 2.5 tonnes/year
CO : 696 tonnes/year
Note: These are maximum annual rates based on an expected worst-case 15% load starting in second year of operation. The total maximum quantities of VOCs provided above, are based on U.S. EPA AP 42 emission factors. All other quantities are based on manufacturer data.
(8) List hazardous air pollutants with emissions estimates (tonnes/year) for any hazardous pollutants with expected annual emission rates of greater than 1 tonne per year:
Formaldehyde: 1.7 tonnes/year
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: