Transboundary permits: hazardous waste and recyclable material

Hazardous Waste & Hazardous Recyclable Material

Transboundary permits apply to movements of hazardous wastes and hazardous recyclable materials that are exported or imported out of and into Canada respectively, including transits passing through Canadian territory en route to a foreign destination. These permits provide a way of controlling and tracking the movements of hazardous wastes and hazardous recyclable materials into and out of Canada. A Transboundary Permit is required by anyone who intends to transport across an international border hazardous waste destined for final disposal or hazardous recyclable material, which is destined for recovery (i.e. recycling).

Section 187 of CEPA 1999 requires the publication of certain information provided on notices received for proposed imports, exports and transits of hazardous wastes. This information comprises: the name or characteristics of the waste or recyclable material; the name of the Canadian importer, exporter or, for transits, the name of the carrier; and the country of origin or destination, and in the case of transits both.

The information required under CEPA 1999 is published twice a year. To view the notices received for proposed exports, imports and transits of hazardous waste, consult the RESILOG newsletter.

For more information, please visit Environment Canada's web section on the Management of Hazardous Waste or contact the Branch by email at or by phone at (819) 997-3377.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: