Chignecto National Wildlife Area pamphlet
What makes Chignecto NWA so special?
Chignecto National Wildlife Area (NWA) is located at the head of the Bay of Fundy near Amherst, Nova Scotia, and close to the John Lusby Marsh NWA. Its 432 hectares support a wide diversity of upland and wetland habitats attractive to wildlife, including many species of birds; a total of 228 bird species have been recorded in recent years, and more than 100 species breed here. Chignecto NWA
- attracts a wide variety of breeding and migrating waterfowl such as the Mallard, American Black Duck, Northern Pintail and Ring-necked Duck, and less common species such as the Gadwall, Wood Duck, Redhead and Ruddy Duck;
- provides important habitat for breeding marsh birds such as the Pied-billed Grebe, Sora and Virginia Rail;
- offers habitat for a wide variety of mammals including the Northern Flying Squirrel, Red Fox and Snowshoe Hare;
- overlaps with Amherst Point Migratory Bird Sanctuary;
- contributes to the Chignecto Ramsar site and the Upper Cumberland Basin Important Bird Area.
What are Environment and Climate Change Canada Protected Areas?
Environment and Climate Change Canada establishes marine and terrestrial NWAs for the purposes of conservation, research and interpretation. NWAs are established to protect migratory birds, species at risk, and other wildlife and their habitats. NWAs are established under the authority of the Canada Wildlife Act and are, first and foremost, places for wildlife.
Migratory Bird Sanctuaries (MBSs) are established under the authority of the Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994, and provide a refuge for migratory birds in marine and terrestrial environments. The current Protected Areas Network consists of 54 NWAs and 92 MBSs comprising over 12 million hectares across Canada.
What can I do at Chignecto NWA?
Access to Chignecto NWA is not restricted, and activities such as wildlife observation, hiking and photography are permitted. Walking trails are maintained within the NWA and can be accessed from a parking lot at Amherst Point. Hunting is not permitted within the Chignecto NWA or Amherst Point MBS, but trappin
Long description of the map
Location of the NWA on an illustrated map of Canada. The NWA location is indicated by a general annotation in the province of Nova Scotia.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: