Application: National Wildlife Area permit under the Wildlife Area Regulations
Official title: Application for a National Wildlife Area permit under the Wildlife Area Regulations
All information included in this application will be treated as confidential. Personal information collected as part of the permitting process is protected under the Privacy Act.
Important: Please consult the document “Instruction sheet: Applying for a National Wildlife Area permit under the Wildlife Areas Regulations” when filling out this application.
Section 1: Applicant information
1.1 Applicant contact information
Given name (please print):
Ssurname (please print):
Mailing address (number and street, incl. p.o. box if applicable):
Fax (if applicable):
Organization (if applicable):
1.2 Previous permits
Have you previously been issued a permit by the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS)? yes / no
If yes, please indicate the number of the permit(s):
1.3 Current application
Please indicate the purpose of the current application (select only one):
If a renewal or amendment, please indicate the number of the previous permit:
Additional permits required to undertake the project (e.g. Species at Risk Act permit, Migratory Birds Regulations permit, etc.):
Section 2: Scope of project
2.1 Project description
Describe the type of project (e.g., monitoring, surveying, research, stewardship, interpretation, assets management, construction, restoration, etc.). Specify project goal and objectives. (add another sheet if needed)
2.2 Activity location information
Name(s) of the National Wildlife Area(s) (NWA):
Geographic coordinates of the activity. Provide UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) grid or latitude/longitude coordinates (enter multiple coordinates for activities occurring over a large area). Attach a map if possible:
2.3 Proposed permit duration
Start date (yyyy-mm-dd):
End date (yyyy-mm-dd):
Provide details regarding the timing, duration, and frequency of visits.
2.4 Proposed activities
Identify all activities that that will be conducted within the protected area. (Check all that apply) Applicants should review the list of Authorized Activities in Schedule I.1 of the Wildlife Area Regulations to determine if a permit is required for that activity.
- Introduce any living organism that is likely to result in harm to any wildlife or the degradation of any wildlife residence or wildlife habitat (Wildlife Area Regulations 3 (1) a)),
- Hunt, fish or trap (WAR 3 (1) b)),
- Be in possession of any equipment that could be used for hunting, fishing, or trapping or be in possession, while fishing, of any lead sinkers or lead jigs (WAR 3 (1) c), d)),
- Be in possession of any wildlife, carcass, nest, egg or a part of any of those things (WAR 3 (1) e)),
- Carry on any agricultural activity, graze livestock or harvest any natural or cultivated crop (WAR 3 (1) f)),
- Bring a domestic animal with hooves into the wildlife area (WAR 3 (1) g)),
- Allow any domestic animal to run at large or keep it on a leash longer than three metres (WAR 3 (1) h)),
- Carry on any recreational activities, including swimming, camping, hiking, wildlife viewing, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and skating (WAR 3 (1) i)),
- Participate in a group meal or a group event involving 15 or more people (WAR 3 (1) j)),
- Light or maintain a fire (WAR 3 (1) k)),
- Operate a conveyance — including a conveyance without a driver on board — other than an aircraft (WAR 3 (1) l)),
- Conduct a take-off or landing of an aircraft, including a remotely piloted aircraft (WAR 3 (1) m)),
- Operate on land or in the water a remotely controlled self-propelled device or set in motion on land or in the water an autonomous self-propelled device (WAR 3 (1) n)),
- Remove, damage or destroy any poster or sign or any fence, building or other structure (WAR 3 (1) o)),
- Sell, or offer for sale, any goods or services (WAR 3 (1) p)),
- Carry on any industrial activity (WAR 3 (1) q)),
- Disturb or remove any soil, sand, gravel or other material (WAR 3 (1) r)),
- Dump or deposit any waste material, or any substance that would degrade or alter the quality of the environment (WAR 3 (1) s)),
- Remove, damage or destroy any artifact or natural object (WAR 3 (1) t)),
- Carry out any other activity that is likely to disturb, damage, destroy or remove from the wildlife area any wildlife, whether alive or dead, wildlife residence or wildlife habitat (WAR 3 (1) u)),
- Fish or hunt from outside a wildlife area for wildlife located in the wildlife area (WAR 3 (2))
- Entry into a National Wildlife Area as indicated in WAR 3.3 (1)(a)-(l) and 3.3 (2)
2.5 Environmental impacts
Describe all likely direct, indirect, incidental and cumulative environmental impacts of the project (e.g. impacts to land/soil, water, vegetation, wildlife, wildlife habitat, air quality, pollution, etc.). What is the likelihood that effects will occur? What is their scope (magnitude and scale)? Are any species at risk present/potentially present within the NWA and project area? If so, will there be any impact to individuals, residences or critical habitat? Describe the ability of the wildlife or wildlife habitat to rehabilitate itself or be restored if these effects occur.
2.6 Consideration of alternatives
What alternative methods were considered that would be less damaging to the wildlife and its habitat? Why conduct the activity in a National Wildlife Area? Are there other locations where this activity could be conducted?
2.7 Mitigation measures and risk management
Describe how impacts to land/soil resources, water resources, vegetation, air quality, wildlife, and wildlife habitat will be prevented and if prevention is unfeasible, how they will be mitigated (e.g. timing windows, cleaning machinery, hazard mapping, spill response kits, erosion control measures, etc.). Explain how you know these mitigation measures are proven and how their effectiveness will be monitored throughout the duration of the project.
Section 3: Equipment use and waste management
3.1 Equipment use
Will you be using firearms? yes / no
If yes, please also include them with the other equipment in the section below.
List all equipment, fuels and other hazardous materials to be used (e.g. generators, large tent structures, brush cutters, research equipment, etc.)
Equipment and hazardous materials
Amount/size (if applicable)
3.2 Conveyances, devices and fuels
List all devices, conveyances and fuel that will be used.
Device, conveyance and fuel
Amount/Size (if applicable)
3.3 Waste disposal
Type of waste
Proposed disposal method
Section 4: Wildlife management
4.1 Likely effects to wildlife or habitat: yes / no
Is the proposed activity likely to involve taking, killing, capturing, or disturbing wildlife, its habitat and/or its residence?
If yes, please answer all questions in section 4.1.
If no, please proceed to 4.2.
4.1.1 Provide a justification for taking, killing, capturing or disturbing wildlife, its habitat and/or its residence.
4.1.2 Provide your methods and attach your scientific protocol.
4.1.3 Indicate which species will be affected and estimate how many individuals of those species will be affected.
If you will be damaging, removing or harvesting a plant, please list it here. If a species is listed in Schedule 1 of the Species at Risk Act, please check the box under the column labeled “SARA”. Please list additional species in Appendix B, as needed:
Number of individuals
SARAFootnote 1 yes / no
4.1.4 Describe your experience relevant to the proposed activity and include a list of qualifications you possess.
4.2 Bird banding
Will you or a nominee be undertaking activities under a Scientific Permit to Capture and Band for this project? yes / no
If yes, please provide the number(s) of the Scientific Permit(s) to Capture and Band (please attach a copy of the applicable permits) :
Section 5: Nominee(s)
Other than yourself, will nominees be engaged to undertake the activities listed on this application? yes / no
If yes, please use Appendix C to list nominees.
Section 6: Signature of the applicant
I, (please print) hereby certify that
- I am 18 years of age or older;
- I understand that, in order to legally conduct the activities authorized by my permit, I may need to obtain in advance additional federal, provincial/territorial or municipal permits or authorizations;
- All information submitted in this application is accurate and has been completed to the best of my knowledge;
- I agree to notify the Minister of any change to any information I have provided on this application.
Signature of the applicant
Appendix A: Documents attached to this application
Please list in order (e.g. notes, maps, reference documents, etc.)
Appendix B: Affected species (if applicable) (cont. section 4.1.3)
Number of individuals
SARAFootnote 2 yes / no
Appendix C: Nominees (if applicable) (cont. section 5)
Name and position, if applicable
Organization (if applicable) and address
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: