Species at risk public registry
On March 31, 2022, the Government of Canada introduced Bill S-6, An Act respecting regulatory modernization. The Bill proposes amendments to 29 statutes, including targeted amendments to the Species at Risk Act (SARA) that would clarify certain requirements and remove those that are outdated. For more information, see: Bill S-6, An Act respecting regulatory modernization.
In this registry you will find documents relating to the administration of the Species at Risk Act (SARA). The act is part of Canada’s strategy to protect hundreds of wild plants and animal species from becoming extinct, and to help in their recovery. Please visit the species at risk sub-topic page to read more about species at risk and the act, the accord and the funding program, and visit our education centre. Help navigating the Species at Risk Public Registry.
Search species list by range, taxonomy group, risk category or schedule.
Access the official lists of wildlife species at risk (schedules 1, 2 and 3).
Species at Risk Act (SARA) instruments
The following sections provide information relating to SARA instruments and the implementation of the Act.
- Permits and agreements
- Policies and guidelines
- Round table reports and Minister's response
- Environmental Assessment Best Practice Guide for Wildlife at Risk in Canada
- Species at Risk Program: Results-Based Management and Accountability Framework and Risk-Based Audit Framework
Section 129 of the Species at Risk Act requires Parliament to review the Act five years after that section comes into force.
A recovery strategy is a planning document that identifies what needs to be done to stop or reverse the decline of a species.
Action plans identify the measures to take to implement the recovery strategy for threatened, endangered and extirpated species.
Management plans include measures for the conservation of species of special concern and their habitat.
Residence descriptions / rationales
Residence descriptions and rationales describe the dwelling-place such as a den, nest or other similar area or place that is occupied by a species.
Critical habitat orders, reports and statements
Documents on the identification and protection of habitat that is necessary for the survival or recovery of a species.
List of recovery team chairs
Recovery team chairs, alphabetically listed by species.
Recovery guidance handbook (ROMAN) [archived]
Saving the wild; an opportunity to participate in species at risk recovery in Canada
This publication celebrates the tens of thousands of Canadians from all walks of life who are striving to save the wild in Canada.
Identification of critical habitat
Under the federal Species at Risk Act (SARA), critical habitat (CH) is the habitat that is necessary for the survival or recovery of listed extirpated, endangered, or threatened species, and that is identified as CH in a recovery strategy or action plan. This CH Identification Toolbox is intended to be used by Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) recovery practitioners and those who work with ECCC in the development of recovery documents where CH identification is required.
ECCC invites you to familiarize yourself with the process by which ECCC identifies critical habitat for endangered and threatened species.
Recovery document posting plans
Documents detailing multi-year plans for posting recovery documents by Environment Canada, Parks Canada, and Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
A permit may be required to conduct an activity that could affect a species listed under SARA, or its habitat.
Find a document
Find a document
A requirement of SARA is the establishment of this registry for the purpose of providing easy access to documents relating to matters under the act.
In addition to the documents listed in the previous tabs, this registry contains thousands of documents in 40 categories.
Latest publications and news
- 2022-10-06 Residence description for Coastrange Sculpin (Cottus aleuticus), Cultus population in Canada
- 2022-10-06 Residence description for the Bull Trout (Salvelinus confluentus) (Saskatchewan-Nelson rivers populations) in Canada
- 2022-10-06 Residence description for the Misty Lake Sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in Canada
- 2022-10-06 Residence description for the Nooksack Dace (Rhinichthys cataractae ssp.) in Canada
- 2022-10-06 Residence description for the Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) Athabasca River populations in Canada
- 2022-10-06 Residence description for the Rocky Mountain Sculpin (Cottus sp.), Eastslope populations, in Canada
- 2022-10-06 Residence description for the Western Brook Lamprey – Morrison Creek Population (Lampetra richardsoni) in Canada
- 2022-10-06 Residence description for the Westslope Cutthroat Trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii lewisi), Alberta Populations in Canada
- 2022-10-03 Fin Whale, Pacific Population: Consultations on listing under the Species at Risk Act
- 2022-10-03 Grey Whale, Pacific Coast Feeding Group and Western Pacific Populations: Consultations on listing under the Species at Risk Act
- 2022-09-29 Management Plan for the Tiny Tassel (Crossidium seriatum) in Canada [Final version]
- 2022-09-29 Recovery Strategy (Amended) and Action Plan for the Piping Plover melodus subspecies (Charadrius melodus melodus) in Canada [Final version]
- 2022-09-29 Recovery Strategy for the Crumpled Tarpaper Lichen (Collema coniophilum) in Canada [Final version]
- 2022-09-29 Recovery Strategy for the Fascicled Ironweed (Vernonia fasciculata) in Canada [Final version]
- 2022-09-29 Recovery Strategy for the Peary Caribou (Rangifer tarandus pearyi) in Canada [Final version]
- 2022-09-29 Recovery strategy for the Roell’s Brotherella Moss (Brotherella roellii) in Canada [Final version]
- 2022-09-22 Management Plan for the Eastern Musk Turtle (Sternotherus odoratus) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2022-09-22 Management Plan for the Vivid Dancer (Argia vivida) in Canada [Final version]
- 2022-09-22 Recovery Strategy for the Okanagan Efferia (Efferia okanagana) in Canada [Final version]
- 2022-09-22 Recovery Strategy for the Olive Clubtail (Stylurus olivaceus) in Canada [Final version]
- 2022-09-21 Report on the Progress of Management Plan Implementation for the Columbia Sculpin (Cottus hubbsi) in Canada for the Period 2017 to 2021
- 2022-09-16 Recovery Strategy for the Gypsy Cuckoo Bumble Bee (Bombus bohemicus) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2022-09-13 Recovery Strategy and Action Plan for the Silver Shiner (Notropis photogenis) in Canada [Final version]
- 2022-09-06 Implementation Report: Multi-species Action Plan for Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve, National Marine Conservation Area Reserve and Haida Heritage Site (2016 to 2021)
- 2022-09-06 Report on the Progress of Recovery Strategy Implementation for the Atlantic Whitefish (Coregonus huntsmani) in Canada for the Period 2012 to 2017
- 2022-09-02 Report on the Progress of the Management Plan Implementation for the Banded Killifish (Fundulus diaphanus), Newfoundland population, in Canada
- 2022-09-01 Management Plan for the Greenish-white Grasshopper (Hypochlora alba) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2022-08-23 Report on the Progress of Recovery Strategy Implementation for the Beluga Whale (Delphinapterus leucas), St. Lawrence Estuary Population in Canada
- 2022-08-09 Recovery Strategy for the Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) in Canada [proposed]
- 2022-08-09 Recovery Strategy for the Eastern Meadowlark (Sturnella magna) in Canada [proposed]
- 2022-08-03 Purple Wartyback (Cyclonaias tuberculate): Consultations on listing under SARA
- 2022-08-03 Recovery Strategy for the Atlantic Mud-piddock (Barnea truncata) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2022-08-03 Report on the Progress of Recovery Strategy Implementation for the Paxton Lake and Vananda Creek Stickleback Species Pairs (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in Canada for the Period 2016 to 2021
- 2018-08-28 Summary of the Imminent Threat Assessment for the Southern Resident Killer Whale
- 2018-08-28 Summary of the imminent threat analysis for southern mountain caribou
- 2018-08-28 Minister’s response statement to the emergency assessment of Steelhead Trout, Chilcotin River population
- 2018-08-28 Minister’s response statement to the emergency assessment of Steelhead Trout, Thompson River population
- 2018-08-28 Action Plan for the Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), Boreal Population, in Canada - Federal Actions
- 2018-08-28 Consultation on Amending the List of Species under the Species at Risk Act: Terrestrial Species January 2018
- 2018-08-28 The governments of Canada and British Columbia reach a draft conservation agreement for southern mountain caribou
- 2018-08-28 Fisheries and Oceans Canada Species at Risk Act Listing Policy and Directive for "Do Not List" Advice
- 2018-06-21 Conservation commitment on the boreal caribou: Val-d'Or population
Note: A new online commenting feature is available for all stakeholders wishing to send comments on proposed regulations published in the Canada Gazette.
Consulting with Canadians website.
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter and receive periodical updates on new items that were added to the public Registry.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: