Species at risk public registry
On March 31, 2022, the Government of Canada introduced Bill S-6, An Act respecting regulatory modernization. The Bill proposes amendments to 29 statutes, including targeted amendments to the Species at Risk Act (SARA) that would clarify certain requirements and remove those that are outdated. For more information, see: Bill S-6, An Act respecting regulatory modernization.
In this registry you will find documents relating to the administration of the Species at Risk Act (SARA). The act is part of Canada’s strategy to protect hundreds of wild plants and animal species from becoming extinct, and to help in their recovery. Please visit the species at risk sub-topic page to read more about species at risk and the act, the accord and the funding program, and visit our education centre. Help with navigating the Species at Risk Public Registry.
Search species list by range, taxonomy group, risk category or schedule.
Access the official lists of wildlife species at risk (schedules 1, 2 and 3).
Species at Risk Act (SARA) instruments
The following sections provide information relating to SARA instruments and the implementation of the Act.
- Permits and agreements
- Policies and guidelines
- Round table reports and Minister's response
- Environmental Assessment Best Practice Guide for Wildlife at Risk in Canada
- Species at Risk Program: Results-Based Management and Accountability Framework and Risk-Based Audit Framework
Section 129 of the Species at Risk Act requires Parliament to review the Act five years after that section comes into force.
A recovery strategy is a planning document that identifies what needs to be done to stop or reverse the decline of a species.
Action plans identify the measures to take to implement the recovery strategy for threatened, endangered and extirpated species.
Management plans include measures for the conservation of species of special concern and their habitat.
Residence descriptions / rationales
Residence descriptions and rationales describe the dwelling-place such as a den, nest or other similar area or place that is occupied by a species.
Critical habitat orders, reports and statements
Documents on the identification and protection of habitat that is necessary for the survival or recovery of a species.
List of recovery team chairs
Recovery team chairs, alphabetically listed by species.
Recovery guidance handbook (ROMAN) [archived]
Saving the wild; an opportunity to participate in species at risk recovery in Canada
This publication celebrates the tens of thousands of Canadians from all walks of life who are striving to save the wild in Canada.
Identification of critical habitat
Under the federal Species at Risk Act (SARA), critical habitat (CH) is the habitat that is necessary for the survival or recovery of listed extirpated, endangered, or threatened species, and that is identified as CH in a recovery strategy or action plan. This CH Identification Toolbox is intended to be used by Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) recovery practitioners and those who work with ECCC in the development of recovery documents where CH identification is required.
ECCC invites you to familiarize yourself with the process by which ECCC identifies critical habitat for endangered and threatened species.
Recovery document posting plans
Documents detailing multi-year plans for posting recovery documents by Environment Canada, Parks Canada, and Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
A permit may be required to conduct an activity that could affect a species listed under SARA, or its habitat.
Find a document
Find a document
A requirement of SARA is the establishment of this registry for the purpose of providing easy access to documents relating to matters under the act.
In addition to the documents listed in the previous tabs, this registry contains thousands of documents in 40 categories.
Latest publications and news
- 2023-09-16 Description of Bank Swallow critical habitat in the Basin Head Marine Protected Area
- 2023-09-11 Residence Description for the Atlantic Mud-piddock (Barnea truncata) in Canada (2023)
- 2023-09-07 Management Plan for the Buffalograss (Bouteloua dactyloides) in Canada [Final version]
- 2023-09-07 Management plan for the Haida Gwaii Slug (Staala gwaii) in Canada [Final version]
- 2023-09-07 Management Plan for Yukon Podistera (Podistera yukonensis) in Canada [Final version]
- 2023-09-07 Multispecies Management Plan for the Magnum Mantleslug (Magnipelta mycophaga), Pygmy Slug (Kootenaia burkei), and Sheathed Slug (Zacoleus idahoensis) in Canada [Final version]
- 2023-08-31 Recovery Strategy for the American Burying Beetle (Nicrophorus americanus) in Canada [Final version]
- 2023-08-29 Report on the Progress of Management Plan Implementation for the Kiyi, Upper Great Lakes (Coregonus kiyi kiyi) in Canada for the Period 2016 to 2021
- 2023-08-25 Silver Lamprey (Saskatchewan - Nelson River populations): Consultations on listing under the Species at Risk Act
- 2023-08-24 Management Plan for the Dune Tachinid Fly (Germaria angustata) in Canada [Final version]
- 2023-08-24 Recovery Strategy for the Proud Globelet (Patera pennsylvanica) in Canada [Final version]
- 2023-08-23 Infographic: Black Redhorse (Moxostoma duquesnei), Aquatic Species at Risk
- 2023-08-23 Infographic: Lake Sturgeon (Acipenser fulvescens), Aquatic Species at Risk
- 2023-08-10 Chimney Swift conservation and permitting
- 2023-08-10 Description of residence for the Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica) in Canada
- 2023-08-10 Management Plan for Pitcher’s Thistle (Cirsium pitcheri) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2023-08-10 Questions and answers for the conservation of the Chimney Swift
- 2023-08-10 Recovery Strategy for the Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica) in Canada [Final Version]
- 2023-07-21 Government of Canada’s approach to addressing the protection of critical habitat for boreal caribou in Quebec and Ontario
- 2023-07-20 Management Plan for the Red-necked Phalarope (Phalaropus lobatus) in Canada [Final version]
- 2023-07-17 Amended Recovery Strategy for the Jefferson Salamander (Ambystoma jeffersonianum) and the Unisexual Ambystoma, Jefferson Salamander dependent population (Ambystoma laterale - (2) jeffersonianum) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2023-07-17 Amended Recovery Strategy for the Small-mouthed Salamander (Ambystoma texanum) and the Unisexual Ambystoma, Small-mouthed Salamander dependent population (Ambystoma laterale - texanum) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2023-07-14 14 Aquatic Species at Risk Infographics
- 2023-07-13 Management Plan for the Northern Sunfish (Lepomis peltastes), in Canada (Great Lakes – Upper St. Lawrence Populations) [Proposed]
- 2023-07-13 Management Plan for the Eastern Wood-pewee (Contopus virens) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2023-07-09 Management Plan for the Mapleleaf (Quadrula quadrula) Great Lakes – Upper St. Lawrence Population, and Rainbow (Villosa iris) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2018-08-28 Summary of the Imminent Threat Assessment for the Southern Resident Killer Whale
- 2018-08-28 Summary of the imminent threat analysis for southern mountain caribou
- 2018-08-28 Minister’s response statement to the emergency assessment of Steelhead Trout, Chilcotin River population
- 2018-08-28 Minister’s response statement to the emergency assessment of Steelhead Trout, Thompson River population
- 2018-08-28 Action Plan for the Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), Boreal Population, in Canada - Federal Actions
- 2018-08-28 Consultation on Amending the List of Species under the Species at Risk Act: Terrestrial Species January 2018
- 2018-08-28 The governments of Canada and British Columbia reach a draft conservation agreement for southern mountain caribou
- 2018-08-28 Fisheries and Oceans Canada Species at Risk Act Listing Policy and Directive for "Do Not List" Advice
- 2018-06-21 Conservation commitment on the boreal caribou: Val-d'Or population
Note: A new online commenting feature is available for all stakeholders wishing to send comments on proposed regulations published in the Canada Gazette.
Consulting with Canadians website.
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter and receive periodical updates on new items that were added to the public Registry.
- Date modified: