Species at risk public registry
In this registry you will find documents relating to the administration of the Species at Risk Act (SARA). The act is part of Canada’s strategy to protect hundreds of wild plants and animal species from becoming extinct, and to help in their recovery. Please visit the species at risk sub-topic page to read more about species at risk and the act, the accord and the funding program, and visit our education centre. Help navigating the Species at Risk Public Registry.
Search species list by range, taxonomy group, risk category or schedule.
Access the official lists of wildlife species at risk (schedules 1, 2 and 3).
Species at Risk Act (SARA) instruments
The following sections provide information relating to SARA instruments and the implementation of the Act.
- Permits and agreements
- Policies and guidelines
- Round table reports and Minister's response
- Environmental Assessment Best Practice Guide for Wildlife at Risk in Canada
- Species at Risk Program: Results-Based Management and Accountability Framework and Risk-Based Audit Framework
Section 129 of the Species at Risk Act requires Parliament to review the Act five years after that section comes into force.
A recovery strategy is a planning document that identifies what needs to be done to stop or reverse the decline of a species.
Action plans identify the measures to take to implement the recovery strategy for threatened, endangered and extirpated species.
Management plans include measures for the conservation of species of special concern and their habitat.
Residence descriptions / rationales
Residence descriptions and rationales describe the dwelling-place such as a den, nest or other similar area or place that is occupied by a species.
Critical habitat orders, reports and statements
Documents on the identification and protection of habitat that is necessary for the survival or recovery of a species.
List of recovery team chairs
Recovery team chairs, alphabetically listed by species.
Recovery guidance handbook (ROMAN) [archived]
Saving the wild; an opportunity to participate in species at risk recovery in Canada
This publication celebrates the tens of thousands of Canadians from all walks of life who are striving to save the wild in Canada.
Identification of critical habitat
Under the federal Species at Risk Act (SARA), critical habitat (CH) is the habitat that is necessary for the survival or recovery of listed extirpated, endangered, or threatened species, and that is identified as CH in a recovery strategy or action plan. This CH Identification Toolbox is intended to be used by Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) recovery practitioners and those who work with ECCC in the development of recovery documents where CH identification is required.
ECCC invites you to familiarize yourself with the process by which ECCC identifies critical habitat for endangered and threatened species.
Recovery document posting plans
Documents detailing multi-year plans for posting recovery documents by Environment Canada, Parks Canada, and Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
A permit may be required to conduct an activity that could affect a species listed under SARA, or its habitat.
Find a document
Find a document
A requirement of SARA is the establishment of this registry for the purpose of providing easy access to documents relating to matters under the act.
In addition to the documents listed in the previous tabs, this registry contains thousands of documents in 40 categories.
Latest publications and news
- 2021-10-12 COSEWIC Annual Report 2020 to 2021
- 2021-10-12 COSEWIC assessment and status report on the Chinook Salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, Designatable Units in Southern British Columbia (Part Two - Designatable Units with High Levels of Artificial Releases in the Last 12 Years), in Canada
- 2021-10-12 COSEWIC assessment and status report on the Leach’s Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma leucorhoa) Atlantic population in Canada
- See more documents published on 2021-10-12
- 2021-10-07 Multi-species Action Plan for Rouge National Urban Park of Canada
- 2021-09-01 Order Amending Schedule 1 to the Species at Risk Act
- 2021-09-01 List of Wildlife Species at Risk (referral back to COSEWIC) Order
- 2021-08-28 Description of the Western Painted Turtle, Pacific Coast population, critical habitat in the Alaksen National Wildlife Area
- 2021-08-27 Management Plan for the Nahanni Aster (Symphyotrichum nahanniense) in Canada
- 2021-08-13 Agreement for the Conservation of the Woodland Caribou, Boreal population with Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation and Mikisew Cree First Nation [Proposed]
- 2021-08-13 Management Plan for the Mormon Metalmark (Apodemia mormo) Prairie Population in Canada
- 2021-08-09 Recovery Strategy and Action Plan for the Black-tailed Prairie Dog (Cynomys ludovicianus) in Canada
- 2021-08-03 Report on the Progress of Recovery Strategy Implementation for the Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar), inner Bay of Fundy Population in Canada for the Period 2010 to 2015
- 2021-07-29 Recovery Strategy and Action Plan for the Black Redhorse (Moxostoma duquesnei) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2021-07-29 Recovery strategy for the Peary Caribou (Rangifer tarandus pearyi) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2021-07-13 Recovery Strategy and Action Plan for the Striped Bass (Morone saxatilis), St. Lawrence River Population, in Canada [Final version]
- 2021-07-08 Recovery Strategy for the Western Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta bellii) Pacific Coast population in Canada [Final version]
- 2021-07-07 Order Acknowledging Receipt of the Assessment Done Pursuant to Subsection 23(1) of the Act (Volume 155, Number 14, 2021)
- 2021-07-07 List of Wildlife Species at Risk (referral back to COSEWIC) Order
- 2021-07-07 Report on the Implementation of the Recovery Strategy for the Slender Popcornflower (Plagiobothrys tenellus) in Canada (2014 to 2020)
- 2018-08-28 Summary of the Imminent Threat Assessment for the Southern Resident Killer Whale
- 2018-08-28 Summary of the imminent threat analysis for southern mountain caribou
- 2018-08-28 Minister’s response statement to the emergency assessment of Steelhead Trout, Chilcotin River population
- 2018-08-28 Minister’s response statement to the emergency assessment of Steelhead Trout, Thompson River population
- 2018-08-28 Action Plan for the Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), Boreal Population, in Canada - Federal Actions
- 2018-08-28 Consultation on Amending the List of Species under the Species at Risk Act: Terrestrial Species January 2018
- 2018-08-28 The governments of Canada and British Columbia reach a draft conservation agreement for southern mountain caribou
- 2018-08-28 Fisheries and Oceans Canada Species at Risk Act Listing Policy and Directive for "Do Not List" Advice
- 2018-06-21 Conservation commitment on the boreal caribou: Val-d'Or population
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter and receive periodical updates on new items that were added to the public Registry.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: