Species at risk public registry
On March 31, 2022, the Government of Canada introduced Bill S-6, An Act respecting regulatory modernization. The Bill proposes amendments to 29 statutes, including targeted amendments to the Species at Risk Act (SARA) that would clarify certain requirements and remove those that are outdated. For more information, see: Bill S-6, An Act respecting regulatory modernization.
In this registry you will find documents relating to the administration of the Species at Risk Act (SARA). The act is part of Canada’s strategy to protect hundreds of wild plants and animal species from becoming extinct, and to help in their recovery. Please visit the species at risk sub-topic page to read more about species at risk and the act, the accord and the funding program, and visit our education centre. Help navigating the Species at Risk Public Registry.
Search species list by range, taxonomy group, risk category or schedule.
Schedule 1 - List of wildlife species at Risk
Access the official lists of wildlife species at risk (schedules 1, 2 and 3).
Species listing process under the Species at Risk Act
Measures to Protect Listed Wildlife Species
Species at Risk Act (SARA) instruments
The following sections provide information relating to SARA instruments and the implementation of the Act.
- Permits and agreements
- Policies and guidelines
- Round table reports and Minister's response
- Environmental Assessment Best Practice Guide for Wildlife at Risk in Canada
- Species at Risk Program: Results-Based Management and Accountability Framework and Risk-Based Audit Framework
Section 129 of the Species at Risk Act requires Parliament to review the Act five years after that section comes into force.
A recovery strategy is a planning document that identifies what needs to be done to stop or reverse the decline of a species.
Action plans identify the measures to take to implement the recovery strategy for threatened, endangered and extirpated species.
Management plans include measures for the conservation of species of special concern and their habitat.
Residence descriptions / rationales
Residence descriptions and rationales describe the dwelling-place such as a den, nest or other similar area or place that is occupied by a species.
Critical habitat orders, reports and statements
Documents on the identification and protection of habitat that is necessary for the survival or recovery of a species.
List of recovery team chairs
Recovery team chairs, alphabetically listed by species.
Recovery guidance handbook (ROMAN) [archived]
Current best practices for recovery.
Saving the wild; an opportunity to participate in species at risk recovery in Canada
This publication celebrates the tens of thousands of Canadians from all walks of life who are striving to save the wild in Canada.
Identification of critical habitat
Critical habitat identification toolbox
Under the federal Species at Risk Act (SARA), critical habitat (CH) is the habitat that is necessary for the survival or recovery of listed extirpated, endangered, or threatened species, and that is identified as CH in a recovery strategy or action plan. This CH Identification Toolbox is intended to be used by Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) recovery practitioners and those who work with ECCC in the development of recovery documents where CH identification is required.
ECCC invites you to familiarize yourself with the process by which ECCC identifies critical habitat for endangered and threatened species.
Recovery document posting plans
Documents detailing multi-year plans for posting recovery documents by Environment Canada, Parks Canada, and Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
A permit may be required to conduct an activity that could affect a species listed under SARA, or its habitat.
SARA permits, agreements and exceptions
Find a document
Find a document
A requirement of SARA is the establishment of this registry for the purpose of providing easy access to documents relating to matters under the act.
In addition to the documents listed in the previous tabs, this registry contains thousands of documents in 40 categories.
Search the registry by document type, date or keyword
Latest publications and news
- 2023-05-16 Management plan for the Silver Lamprey (Ichthyomyzon unicuspis), Great Lakes-Upper St. Lawrence populations, in Canada [Proposed]
- 2023-05-13 Order Amending Schedule 1 to the Species at Risk Act, Volume 157, Number 19 May 13, 2023
- 2023-05-11 Agreement for the Conservation of the Lake Sturgeon, Southern Hudson Bay-James Bay populations
- 2023-05-11 Report on the Progress of Management Plan Implementation for the Rocky Mountain Ridged Mussel (Gonidea angulate) in Canada for the Period 2017 to 2021
- 2023-05-10 Order Acknowledging Receipt of the Assessments Done Under Subsection 23(1) of the Act: SI/2023-13
- 2023-04-24 Recovery Strategy for the Atlantic Mud-piddock (Barnea truncata) in Canada [Final Version]
- 2023-04-20 Draft Policy on Assessing Imminent Threats under Sections 29 and 80 of the Species at Risk Act – terrestrial species
- 2023-04-18 Recovery Strategy for the Louisiana Waterthrush (Parkesia motacilla) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2023-04-18 Report on the Progress of Recovery Strategy Implementation for the Channel Darter (Percina copelandi) in Canada for the Period 2013 to 2018
- 2023-04-18 Report on the Progress of Management Plan Implementation for the Sea Otter (Enhydra lutris) in Canada for the Period 2014 to 2020
- 2023-04-14 Report on the Progress of Recovery Strategy Implementation for the North Pacific Right Whale (Eubalaena japonica) in Canada for the Period 2012 to 2020
- 2023-04-13 Report on the Progress of Management Plan Implementation for the Rougheye/Blackspotted Rockfish complex (Sebastes aleutianus and S. melanostictus) and Longspine Thornyhead (Sebastolobus altivelis) in Canada for the Period 2012 to 2020
- 2023-04-08 Description of Marbled Murrelet critical habitat in the Shoal Harbour Bird Sanctuary
- 2023-03-29 Critical Habitat of the Silver Shiner (Notropis photogenis) Order: SOR/2023-39
- 2023-03-20 Consultation check-in on 14 aquatic species under consideration for addition or reclassification to Schedule 1 of the Species at Risk Act
- 2023-03-18 Description of Caribou, Boreal population, critical habitat in the Edéhzhíe National Wildlife Area
- 2023-03-14 Management Plan for the Eastern Pondmussel (Ligumia nasuta) in Canada [Proposed]
- 2023-03-08 Eastern Sand Darter (West Lake population): Consultations on listing under the Species at Risk Act
- 2023-03-08 Report on the Progress of Recovery Strategy and Action Plan Implementation for the Cultus Pygmy Sculpin (Cottus aleuticus) in Canada for the Period 2016 to 2021
- 2023-03-07 Report on the Implementation of the Recovery Strategy for the Black-footed Ferret (Mustela nigripes) in Canada (2018-2022)
- 2023-03-01 Agreement for the Conservation and Recovery of the Caribou, Boreal population in Manitoba
- 2023-03-01 Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus): management plan progress report, March 2023
- 2023-03-01 Report on the Progress of Recovery Strategy Implementation for the Eastern Prickly Pear Cactus (Opuntia humifusa) in Canada (2018 – 2022)
- 2023-02-15 Order Amending Schedule 1 to the Species at Risk Act: SOR/2023-16
- 2023-02-15 Order Amending Schedule 1 to the Species at Risk Act: SOR/2023-17
- 2023-02-11 Description of critical habitat of the Hoptree Borer in Point Pelee National Park of Canada
- 2018-08-28 Summary of the Imminent Threat Assessment for the Southern Resident Killer Whale
- 2018-08-28 Summary of the imminent threat analysis for southern mountain caribou
- 2018-08-28 Minister’s response statement to the emergency assessment of Steelhead Trout, Chilcotin River population
- 2018-08-28 Minister’s response statement to the emergency assessment of Steelhead Trout, Thompson River population
- 2018-08-28 Action Plan for the Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), Boreal Population, in Canada - Federal Actions
- 2018-08-28 Consultation on Amending the List of Species under the Species at Risk Act: Terrestrial Species January 2018
- 2018-08-28 The governments of Canada and British Columbia reach a draft conservation agreement for southern mountain caribou
- 2018-08-28 Fisheries and Oceans Canada Species at Risk Act Listing Policy and Directive for "Do Not List" Advice
- 2018-06-21 Conservation commitment on the boreal caribou: Val-d'Or population
Note: A new online commenting feature is available for all stakeholders wishing to send comments on proposed regulations published in the Canada Gazette.
Search current and past public consultations.
Consulting with Canadians website.
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter and receive periodical updates on new items that were added to the public Registry.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: