More support from the Government of Canada in local businesses across Northern Ontario
The federal government is investing over $6 million in support of 13 diverse projects across the region.
August 30, 2023 – Sudbury, ON – Federal Economic Development Agency for Northern Ontario – FedNor
The Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Indigenous Services and Minister responsible for FedNor, today announced FedNor investments totalling $6,018,795 in support of thirteen different initiatives across Northern Ontario. Minister Hajdu was joined by Members of Parliament Viviane Lapointe, Marcus Powlowski, Marc G. Serré, and Terry Sheehan in making the announcement.
These projects are anticipated to create a wide range of economic and community benefits, including the creation of over 120 jobs and over 45 more maintained. The investments announced today will help businesses across a range of sectors reduce emissions and energy costs, while improving efficiency and production.
Taken together, these initiatives are supporting diverse economic growth across Northern Ontario by investing in several key industries and sectors, including the natural resource and mining sector, agriculture and agri-food businesses, and municipalities across the region.
For more detail on the projects being funded, please see the associated backgrounder.
“These are concrete investments in key sectors for our regional economy. This will help local businesses innovate, grow, and create a number of good-paying jobs for families in Northern Ontario for years to come. We have a plan to grow an economy that works for everyone in Northern Ontario and helps people pay their bills.”
- The Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Indigenous Services and Minister responsible for FedNor
“Investments in our region will support economic growth for everyone while positioning major centres like Sudbury to help meet industry needs. Natural resource development and mining, as well as agriculture and agri-food, present important opportunities for growth in the Sudbury area, and these projects will put us in position to keep building to the future.”
- Viviane Lapointe, Member of Parliament for Sudbury
“FedNor continues to demonstrate its critical importance in job and economic development in Northern Ontario by funding strategic projects like these ones. I’m looking forward to seeing the continued growth of our region with FedNor’s support."
- Marc G. Serré, Member of Parliament for Nickel Belt and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Official Languages
“Strong local economies rely on the growth of local businesses. Strategic investments such as these will allow the four businesses in Nipissing-Timiskaming to purchase equipment, increase production and find new ways to become more energy-efficient. I am also happy to see the communities of Earlton and Thornloe will be benefitting from this investment.”
- The Honourable Anthony Rota, Member of Parliament for Nipissing—Timiskaming
“This announcement shows our Government’s continued commitment to strengthening communities here in Northwestern Ontario. I want to congratulate the recipients in my riding on this FedNor funding. These investments are so important for promoting economic growth in our region.”
- Marcus Powlowski, Member of Parliament for Thunder Bay-Rainy River
The funds announced today are provided through a number of FedNor programs that support economic diversification and growth in Northern Ontario. These programs include:
- The Regional Growth Through Innovation Fund (REGI), which supports the growth of Northern Ontario businesses, their expansion into new markets, and their adoption of new technologies and processes.
- The Northern Ontario Development Program (NODP), through which FedNor invests in projects led by municipalities, First Nations, and other organizations and institutions that support community economic development, diversification, job creation and self-reliant communities in Northern Ontario.
- The now-closed Jobs and Growth Fund (JGF), which provided funding to businesses and organizations to help create jobs and position local economies for long-term growth.
- The Economic Development Initiative (EDI), which supports activities related to business and economic development that encourage growth in Northern Ontario's Francophone communities.
- And the Targeted Manufacturing Initiative for Northern Ontario (TMINO), which supports Northern Ontario manufacturers looking to boost their productivity, increase sales and exports, and create jobs.
Minister of Indigenous Services and Minister responsible for FedNor
Federal Economic Development Agency for Northern Ontario
- Date modified: