Today, Canada announced funding of $59.5 million that will improve the public education system in Burkina Faso by providing greater access to quality education for the poorest and most vulnerable, especially young women and girls.
- The Government of Burkina Faso’s Ministry of National Education and Literacy will receive $51 million (between fiscal years 2017 to 2018 and 2021 to 2022) to support implementation of its strategic plan for the development of the basic education sector. Canada’s support is helping:
- improve educational services, making them more accessible to girls at the primary and post-primary levels;
- build and equip 20,000 new classrooms; and
- strengthen basic education management and operating practices at every level of the education system.
- Canada will also launch an $8.5-million request for proposals for the competitive selection of a Canadian organization to provide technical assistance in helping implement Burkina Faso’s strategic plan for the development of the basic education sector, with a strong focus on ensuring access to quality education for girls.