Minister Ng and G20 trade ministers meet to advance recovery of global trade and investment
September 22, 2020 - Ottawa, Ontario - Global Affairs Canada
The Honourable Mary Ng, Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade, participated virtually today in the G20 Trade and Investment Ministerial Meeting.
During the meeting, Minister Ng and her G20 counterparts endorsed a joint statement reinforcing their commitment to support their businesses, workers, and people.
The G20 ministers committed to ensuring the rules-based international trading system, with the World Trade Organization (WTO) at its core, is stable and predictable and that everyone—including small businesses and women entrepreneurs—can access the benefits of trade.
The ministers also discussed the implementation of the G20 Action Plan on Trade and Investment, the result of their meeting in May 2020. Minister Ng underscored the urgency of implementing this action plan as quickly as possible to support businesses and workers on the road to long-term, sustainable economic recovery from COVID-19 and to build a more resilient economy for future generations.
Minister Ng welcomed the outcomes of the Riyadh Initiative, a G20 dialogue on priorities for WTO reform. As chair of the Ottawa Group on WTO Reform, Canada continues its leadership in WTO modernization efforts, with its international partners, to advance the economic stability, security, and prosperity of Canadians and people around the world.
“Rules-based trade and global cooperation matter more than ever as we work to support Canadians’ economic recovery from COVID-19. The G20 has a vital leadership role in ensuring that when it comes to trade, we do not look inward but continue to work collaboratively on concrete outcomes for our businesses and workers.”
- Mary Ng, Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade
- G20 Action Plan on Trade and Investment
- Statement on joint international effort to ensure supply chain connectivity amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Extraordinary G20 Leaders’ Summit statement on COVID-19
- Statement on joint WTO efforts to ensure open and predictable trade for food and agricultural products amid COVID-19
- Statement on joint commitment with WTO members to maintain predictable and rules-based trade at this critical time
- Readout: Minister Ng meets virtually with G20 international trade counterparts to coordinate economic action plan
- Statement from Minister Ng on joint commitment with WTO members to support small businesses
- Minister Ng concludes successful Canada-led Ottawa Group meeting on World Trade Organization reform and COVID-19
- Minister Ng announces Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada’s first virtual trade mission to South Korea for women entrepreneurs
Office of the Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @CanadaTrade
Like us on Facebook: Canada’s international trade - Global Affairs Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: