Minister Ng receives assurances from European Commissioner for Trade, Valdis Dombrovskis about vaccine exports to Canada
March 26, 2021 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada
Yesterday, the Honourable Mary Ng, Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade, spoke with Valdis Dombrovskis, Executive Vice President, and European Union Commissioner for Trade, about the EU’s vaccine exports to Canada.
Minister Ng welcomed the close collaboration with the EU on the continued supply of contracted deliveries of COVID-19 vaccines to Canada, and underscored the importance that this continue in light of the EU’s recent announcement regarding amendments to their mechanism on vaccine exports.
Executive Vice President Dombrovskis reiterated that the EU’s measures are focused on ensuring transparency and a balanced approach to vaccination roll-out, and are not meant to target Canada. Minister Ng and Executive Vice President Dombrovskis both emphasized the importance of ensuring access to life-saving vaccines as rapidly as possible for people in Canada, the European Union and around the world.
Minister Ng and Executive Vice President Dombrovskis discussed WTO reform and today’s Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA)’s Joint Committee to oversee progress on CETA’s implementation. They both acknowledged that amid the challenges brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic; CETA continues to deliver results and further strengthens Canada and the EU’s long-standing trade relationship.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks with President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen (March 24, 2021)
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with European Union member states about vaccine exports (February 1, 2021)
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with European Commissioner for Trade about vaccine exports (January 30, 2021)
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with European Commissioner for Trade Valdis Dombrovskis (January 28, 2021)
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks with President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen (January 27, 2021)
- Minister Ng speaks with European Union member states (March 26, 2021)
Office of the Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @CanadaTrade
Like us on Facebook: Canada’s international trade - Global Affairs Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: