Minister Ng speaks with European Union member states
March 26, 2021 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada
This week, the Honourable Mary Ng, Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade, connected with Anna Hallberg, Sweden’s Minister of Foreign Trade; Sophie Wilmès, Belgium‘s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, European Affairs and Foreign Trade and Franck Riester, France’s Minister Delegate for Foreign Trade and Economic Attractiveness, regarding the continued flow of vaccines across borders.
During the respective conversations over the past 2 days, Minister Ng welcomed the close collaboration between EU member states and Canada throughout the pandemic, particularly on the continued arrival of vaccines. Minister Ng underscored the importance of the continuation of these deliveries and of Canada’s vaccine contracts continuing to be honoured, in light of the EU’s recent announcement regarding amendments to their mechanism on vaccine exports.
Minister Ng also reiterated the assurances Canada had previously received from the EU and various member states that these measures will not affect vaccine shipments to Canada, and emphasized Canada’s consistency as a partner, maintaining open supply chains throughout the pandemic.
Minister Ng highlighted the EU’s history as a trusted, open and reliable ally and trading partner, and took the opportunity to discuss the importance of rules-based international trade, especially in the context of the global fight against the virus, and to achieve a global recovery. The ministers committed to continue to work together to keep essential health and medical supply chains open to the benefit of people in Canada, the EU and around the world.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks with President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen (March 24, 2021)
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with European Union member states about vaccine exports (February 1, 2021)
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with European Commissioner for Trade about vaccine exports (January 30, 2021)
- Readout: Minister Ng speaks with European Commissioner for Trade Valdis Dombrovskis (January 28, 2021)
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks with President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen (January 27, 2021)
Office of the Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @CanadaTrade
Like us on Facebook: Canada’s international trade - Global Affairs Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: