Backgrounder – Michael Spavor verdict pronouncement
- Michael Spavor, a Canadian citizen, was arbitrarily detained by Chinese authorities on December 10, 2018, and held on suspicion of endangering the national security of the People’s Republic of China.
- In June 2019, Mr. Spavor was charged on allegations of “gathering state secrets and illegally providing them to overseas forces.”
- The trial in Mr. Spavor’s case was held on March 19, 2021. Consular officials were denied access to the hearing.
- The verdict pronouncement was scheduled for August 11, 2021. Canada’s Ambassador Dominic Barton and consular officials, attended the verdict and sentencing pronouncement at the Dandong Detention Centre Court.
- Ambassador Barton and consular officials held an in-person consular visit with Mr. Spavor following the verdict pronouncement.
- Following the receipt of the verdict pronouncement, Michael Spavor will have 10 days to submit an appeal.