Minister Ng meets with U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai
November 30, 2021 - Ottawa, Ontario - Global Affairs Canada
Today, the Honourable Mary Ng, Minister of International Trade, Export Promotion, Small Business and Economic Development, met virtually with Katherine Tai, United States Trade Representative, in advance of her forthcoming trip to Washington, D.C., to advocate for Canadian industry and workers.
Minister Ng and Ambassador Tai engaged on important Canada-United States trade issues, including the Government of Canada’s continued significant concern with the discriminatory, protectionist elements of the U.S. tax credits for electric vehicles proposed in the current version of the Build Back Better bill. Minister Ng noted that the proposed tax credits run counter to U.S. trade obligations under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.
The minister also voiced her disappointment with the doubling of U.S. duties on Canadian softwood lumber, which will harm Canadian communities, businesses and workers, and will add to the cost of housing in the United States.
The minister also highlighted Canada’s commitment to working collaboratively with the U.S. on the scientific and technical aspects of selling fresh potatoes from Prince Edward Island so the cross-border trade can resume as soon as possible.
Finally, Minister Ng and Ambassador Tai agreed to continue their collaboration to further support strengthening the rules-based international trade system and reaffirmed their shared commitment to a successful 12th WTO Ministerial Conference, to be held in due course.
- Minister Ng to visit Washington, D.C.
- Minister Ng and Minister Champagne meet with Canadian business, automotive sector and labour leaders
- Statement by Minister Ng on U.S. final duty rates on Canadian softwood lumber
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau meets with the President of the United States of America Joe Biden
- Minister Ng meets with U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai
- Minister Ng meets with United States Trade Representative Tai in Washington
- Minister Ng meets with members of U.S. Congress on strengthening Canada-United States trade relations
- Canada-United States relations
- Road map for a renewed United States-Canada Partnership
- Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement
Office of the Minister of International Trade, Export Promotion, Small Business and Economic Development
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
- Date modified: