Backgrounder: Canada imposes additional economic measures on Russia in wake of its military attack against Ukraine
Effective immediately, Canada is imposing new sanctions in response to Russia’s unprovoked and unjustified invasion of Ukraine.
The new amendments impose restrictions on 18 members of the Security Council of the Russian Federation responsible for these actions. The new measures also expand existing prohibitions imposed on 3 Russian financial entities beyond the areas of sovereign debt, as announced on February 24, 2022.
The Special Economic Measures (Russia) Regulations impose on listed persons a prohibition on any transaction (effectively, an asset freeze) by prohibiting persons in Canada and Canadians outside Canada from engaging in any activity related to any property of these listed persons or providing financial or related services to them.
The specific prohibitions are set out in the regulations.
The names of the individuals and entities who have been added to the schedule of the regulations are the following:
- Vladimir Vladimirovich PUTIN
- Sergei Kuzhugetovich SHOIGU
- Sergei Viktorovich LAVROV
- Konstantin Anatolyevich CHUYCHENKO
- Anton Germanovich SILUANOV
- Anton Eduardovich VAINO
- Mikhail Vladimirovich MISHUSTIN
- Vladimir Alexandrovich KOLOKOLTSEV
- Alexander Dmitryevich BEGLOV
- Dmitry Anatolyevich MEDVEDEV
- Yury Yakovlevich CHAIKA
- Alexander Vladimirovich GUTSAN
- Igor Anatolyevich KOMAROV
- Anatoly Anatolyevich SERYSHEV
- Sergei Semyonovich SOBYANIN
- Yury Petrovich TRUTNEV
- Vladimir Vladimirovich YAKUSHEV
- Vladimir Ivanovich BULAVIN
- Central Bank of the Russian Federation
- National Wealth Fund of the Russian Federation
- Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation
- Date modified: