Statement by Minister Joly on the 100th day of the Russian invasion of Ukraine
June 3, 2022 –Toronto, Ontario –Global Affairs Canada
The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Foreign Affairs, today issued the following statement:
“Today marks 100 days since Putin has unjustifiably and illegally invaded Ukraine. For 100 days innocent Ukrainians have suffered, with many having needlessly perished. For 100 days Vladimir Putin has attempted to destroy Ukraine’s economy, resulting in a food security crisis felt the world over. For 100 days Russia has lied and spread false information. 100 days too many. But for 100 days the Ukrainian people have held strong. Their courage and resilience inspires us all.
“As the Russian regime lied, intimidated and manufactured a crisis, Canada relentlessly pursued a diplomatic solution, urging President Putin to de-escalate and engage in a meaningful dialogue. We worked with partners to coordinate our responses to deter further Russian aggression.
“When Putin ignored all diplomatic efforts and launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, Canada, along with its international partners, took action.
“Since the beginning of this war, Canada has stood up and responded to the Russian regime by taking the following actions:
- sanctioned more than 1,050 individuals and entities linked to Putin’s regime;
- restricted financial transactions and trade and investment between Canada and Russia;
- supplied military equipment to Ukraine’s security forces;
- allocated $280 million in humanitarian and development assistance;
- offered of up to $1.87 billion in financial assistance to support the Ukrainian government and economy this year;
- closed off Canadian airspace and waters to Russian-owned aircraft and ships;
- provided immigration support for those affected in Ukraine; and
- supported Ukraine in international courts and multilateral forums, such as the International Criminal Court and the International Court of Justice.
“We are not done. We continue to work with the international community to do everything we can to end the Russian regime’s aggression. As the world reacts to the horrific events across Ukraine, Canada will not relent in holding Putin and his enablers accountable and supporting a full investigation of reported war crimes by the International Criminal Court.
“Canada is unwavering in its support to Ukraine.”
Office of the Minister of Foreign Affairs
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: