Minister Ng meets United States Trade Representative Katherine Tai
November 30, 2022 - Ottawa, Ontario - Global Affairs Canada
Today, the Honourable Mary Ng, Minister of International Trade, Export Promotion, Small Business and Economic Development, met with Katherine Tai, United States Trade Representative to discuss ongoing efforts to grow cross border trade, supporting inclusive job growth on both sides of the border.
Minister Ng reiterated Canada’s strong interest in joining and meaningfully contributing to the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework for Prosperity, and agreed with Ambassador Tai to remain in discussions regarding this process.
Minister Ng and Ambassador Tai reiterated their shared concern regarding the impact of Mexico’s energy sector reforms on trade and investment and highlighted the importance of working together with Mexico to address the issue.
The minister also highlighted the importance of a strong multilateral trading system supported by the WTO, including a well-functioning dispute settlement system.
Minister Ng and Ambassador Tai discussed a range of other issues relating to the Canada-US trading relationship, including softwood lumber. They agreed to continue working closely together to strengthen this relationship, as well as our respective ties around the world, especially with the Indo Pacific.
- Bilateral trade between Canada and the United States in goods and services was over $1 trillion in 2021.
- Canada buys more goods from the United States than China, France and Japan combined.
- Canada is the top trading partner of most U.S. states.
- Canadian companies operating in the United States directly employ 634,000 Americans.
- Canada-U.S. trade is built upon long-standing binational supply chains. In 2021, approximately 79% of Canadian goods exported to the United States were incorporated into U.S. supply chains.
- Minister Ng speaks with United States Trade Representative Tai at CUSMA Free Trade Commission ministerial meeting
- Minister Mary Ng hosts successful visit by United States Trade Representative Katherine Tai
- Statement by Minister Ng on Canada launching Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement consultations on Mexico’s new energy policies
Office of the Minister of International Trade, Export Promotion, Small Business and Economic Development
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @CanadaTrade
Like us on Facebook: Canada’s international trade - Global Affairs Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: