Consultation to amend List A (List of certain antimicrobial active pharmaceutical ingredients) - Proposed List A 2022
From Health Canada
Current status: Open
Opened on March 07, 2022 and will close to new input on June 06, 2022
We would like your comments on a proposal to amend List A which names certain antimicrobial active pharmaceutical ingredients that are important in human medicine. Ingredients on List A are subject to measures to help limit the development of resistance to these medically important antimicrobials and these measures are part of Health Canada's commitment to protect public health and food safety.
At Health Canada's Veterinary Drugs Directorate (VDD), we make changes to List A as required, including when:
- Health Canada approves a new antimicrobial that meets the categorization criteria
- there is new information about an antimicrobial available on the international market
- there is new information about an antimicrobial already on the list
Since publication of List A in 2017, newer antimicrobial agents that are important to human medicine have become available. Health Canada has conducted a literature-based examination of antimicrobial drugs against a set of established criteria available on the Health Canada's website and identified additional antimicrobial agents to be considered for inclusion or reclassification on List A.
To comply with Canada's international trade obligations, consultation on the proposed List A is also being conducted by notifying the World Trade Organization.
Join in: how to participate
- Review the "Proposal to amend List A (List of certain antimicrobial active ingredients) - Proposed List A 2022".
- Please send us an email with your comments to: vdd.HSD-DIH.firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of your email as "Comments: Consultation to amend List A - Proposed List A 2022".
Who is the focus of this consultation
Health Canada's VDD will engage with:
- General public
- Food animal producers
- Veterinary associations
- Veterinary professionals
- Canada's trading partners
- Other government departments
Goals of the consultation
The goal of the consultation is to get your comments on the Proposed List A 2022. After the consultation, we will consider and address any comments received before we finalize the List A with the effective implementation date.
Key question for consultation
We are seeking your input on the proposed amendments to List A 2022.
- Do you have any comments on the proposed List A? Please send them to us.
- List A: List of certain antimicrobial active pharmaceutical ingredients
- About List A and medically important antimicrobials
Veterinary Drugs Directorate
Human Safety Division
Health Products and Foods Branch, Health Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: