Consultation on proposed agile regulations and guidance for licensing drugs and medical devices
Current status: Closed
Opened on December 17, 2022, and closed to new input on April 26, 2023, at 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Health Canada is proposing new targeted provisions and regulatory amendments to the Food and Drug Regulations and Medical Devices Regulations. These changes will continue to advance our modernization agenda and help to reduce regulatory irritants and roadblocks to innovation. We are seeking feedback on both the proposed regulations and on multiple guidance documents related to the proposal.
Join in: How to participate
Share your ideas online
To provide feedback on the proposed regulations, submit your comments through Canada Gazette, Part I.
To submit comments on the multiple guidance documents and notices listed below related to this proposal, please use this online stakeholder feedback form:
Participate by mail
Send a letter with your ideas and input to the address in contact information below.
Who is the focus of this consultation
We are seeking comments from:
- consumer and patient safety organizations
- drug and medical device industry
- health system partners
- general public
Key items for comment
Health Canada is proposing new targeted provisions and regulatory amendments to the Food and Drug Regulations and Medical Devices Regulations as part of our modernization work. The amendments will also:
- reduce regulatory issues and roadblocks to innovation
- make Canada’s science-based regulatory system more agile and internationally aligned
The proposal also takes into account recent experience with regulatory agilities successfully piloted as part of our response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are seeking your ideas and input on the following topics:
- using terms and conditions on drug approvals and broadening their scope for Class II, III and IV medical devices
- allowing rolling reviews of certain drug submissions, including drugs that address a public health emergency
- requiring risk management plans for higher-risk human drugs
- updating the requirements for certain drugs that claim a manufacturer’s standard
- repealing requirements for labelling of the standard for specific drugs
- repealing outdated requirements and replacing them with those that reflect current practices
- clarifying the authority to consider information obtained outside of a new drug submission to support Health Canada’s examination of that submission for a new drug
- requiring manufacturers to submit disaggregated data for new and supplemental human drug submissions
The following guidance documents and notices are related to this proposal.
Bruno Rodrigue, Executive Director
Office of Legislative and Regulatory Modernization
Policy, Planning and International Affairs Directorate
Health Products and Food Branch
Holland Cross, Suite P2108
11 Holland Ave
Ottawa ON K1A 0K9
- Date modified: