An integrated strategy for the protection of Canadian workers from exposure to chemicals - Closed consultation
From Health Canada
Current status: Closed
This consultation ran from July 11, 2019 to August 30, 2019.
Health Canada was exploring ways to enhance the protection of workers from exposure to chemicals by integrating and leveraging the information, tools, and/or technical expertise of the Chemicals Management Plan and Health Canada's Workplace Hazardous Products Program.
Who was the focus of this consultation
We engaged with:
- Workers, employers, labour groups, and other associated groups
- Industry members and associated groups
- Health professionals and associated groups
- Academia and associated groups
Key questions for discussion
Ideas and inputs were sought on the following questions:
- Are the activities described valuable?
- What factors need to be considered in the:
- Development of a Federal, Provincial and Territorial (FPT) Committee on occupational health and safety (OHS)
- Development of a prioritization framework
- Prioritization of chemicals for occupational exposure limit development, research and monitoring or risk assessment
- Development of a targeted approach to chemical classification
- Development of compliance and enforcement priorities for Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Does the FPT Committee on Drinking Water serve as a good model for FPT collaboration and coordination on OHS issues?
- What are some sources of data that could be leveraged to support a targeted approach to chemical classification?
- Are there specific areas where raising awareness is particularly critical?
The input that was gathered through this process will be used to inform future activities related to enhancing the protection of workers from exposure to chemicals under the Chemicals Management Plan and Health Canada's Workplace Hazardous Products Program.
What we heard
- A summary of feedback from the consultation: An integrated strategy for the protection of Canadian workers from exposure to chemicals
- Summary of Results of Canadian Federal/Provincial/Territorial Survey on Chemicals and Workplace Exposures
Substances Management Information Line
Chemicals Management Plan
Gatineau, QC K1A 0H3
Telephone: 1-800-567-1999 (in Canada) or 819-938-3232
- Date modified: