Tofu and vegetable stir fry
The ginger and sesame flavour of this stir-fry will work well with a variety of vegetables.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 package (350 g) extra firm tofu
- 5 mL (1 tsp) ground ginger
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) curry powder
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- 10 mL (2 tsp) sesame oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 L (4 cups) fresh or frozen cut vegetables
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) no salt added vegetable broth
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) hoisin sauce
- 5 mL (1 tsp) cornstarch
- 5 mL (1 tsp) sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- On a cutting board, cut tofu into cubes. Toss cubed tofu with ginger, curry and pepper in a bowl.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil and brown tofu. Remove to plate. Spray skillet with cooking spray and return to medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes to start softening. Add vegetables.
- In a small bowl, whisk together broth, hoisin and cornstarch. Pour into skillet and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Add tofu back to skillet and stir to coat well.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving, if using. Enjoy this over cooked brown rice noodles.
- Use pre-cut vegetables as a shortcut for speedy suppers. Don’t forget frozen as an option, you can always have a bag in the freezer and measure out what you need to make a quick meal.
- Experiment with different vegetable combinations by using your favorite fresh or frozen veggies.
- Get your little chefs to help you pick the vegetables to go in the stir-fry. The more involved they are, the more likely they will eat it!
- Looking for another protein food choice? Use leftover cooked chicken instead of tofu for an easy substitution.
Categories: vegetarian, 30 minutes or less, freezer-friendly
Learn about food safety
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, P.H. EC for the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Reproduced with permission from the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: