Canada Connects: Bringing newcomers and Canadians together
Canada Connects is an initiative to help newcomers settle by matching them with Canadian citizens or longtime community members.
Integration is a two-way street and everyone can get involved to build welcoming communities.
By volunteering with Canada Connects, you can:
- foster newcomers’ sense of belonging
- increase cross-cultural understanding and communication skills
- learn about the contributions newcomers make and the challenges they may face
As a newcomer, Canada Connects can assist you to:
- make connections with people in your community and build meaningful relationships
- increase your communication skills and understanding of Canada
- help Canadians understand the challenges newcomers may face and the contributions they make
How to participate
Service provider organizations (SPOs) are following local health authority guidance to make plans to safely reopen their offices.
Many SPOs are focusing on delivering critical services while offering non-critical services (like remote language training) by telephone, email or online. Contact your local SPO to see what services they can offer you.
Here are the steps to make a difference in someone’s life, or to find help to settle in your community.
- Find an organization that offers services to newcomers near you. They will give you a form to fill out.
- On the form, indicate how you’d like to get involved, and your availability.
- The organization will match you with a newcomer or a volunteer in your community.
Find an organization near you
After you’re matched
There are many activities that a newcomer and a volunteer can get involved with, such as:
- sharing information about your community, such as local activities, transportation or schools
- preparing and sharing food or organizing a potluck together
- attending or participating in a cultural or sporting event together, like going to a festival or a hockey game
- engaging in conversation to practice and improve English- or French-language skills
- building networks and meeting people with common interests
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: