Canada Connects: Bringing newcomers and Canadians together
Canada Connects is an initiative to help newcomers settle by matching them with Canadian citizens or longtime community members.
Integration is a two-way street and everyone can get involved to build welcoming communities.
By volunteering with Canada Connects, you can:
- foster newcomers’ sense of belonging
- increase cross-cultural understanding and communication skills
- learn about the contributions newcomers make and the challenges they may face
As a newcomer, Canada Connects can assist you to:
- make connections with people in your community and build meaningful relationships
- increase your communication skills and understanding of Canada
- help Canadians understand the challenges newcomers may face and the contributions they make
How to participate
Here are the steps to make a difference in someone’s life, or to find help to settle in your community.
- Find an organization that offers services to newcomers near you. They will give you a form to fill out.
- On the form, indicate how you’d like to get involved, and your availability.
- The organization will match you with a newcomer or a volunteer in your community.
Find an organization near you
After you’re matched
There are many activities that a newcomer and a volunteer can get involved with, such as:
- sharing information about your community, such as local activities, transportation or schools
- preparing and sharing food or organizing a potluck together
- attending or participating in a cultural or sporting event together, like going to a festival or a hockey game
- engaging in conversation to practice and improve English- or French-language skills
- building networks and meeting people with common interests
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: