Operational Bulletin 223 - October 8, 2010
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
Extension of the China Transit Trial to September 30, 2012
The one year China Transit Trial (CTT) has been extended to September 30, 2012.
CIC, in cooperation with the CBSA, introduced a limited one-year CTT at the Vancouver International Airport on July 30, 2009.
In order to be eligible to travel under the CTT, Chinese foreign nationals must:
- be in possession of a valid United States visa;
- be in possession of a valid passport issued by the authorities of the People’s Republic of China;
- hold a confirmed onward ticket for a connecting flight that departs Canada immediately (Chinese nationals transiting Canada under the CTT may not seek entry into Canada as a temporary resident);
- be arriving in Canada on an airline that has an up-to-date Transit without Visa Memorandum of Understanding with CIC and the CBSA; and
- be transiting through the Vancouver International Airport.
The one year trial is currently limited to three airlines – Cathay Pacific, Philippine Airlines and China Airlines. In addition, Chinese nationals participating in the CTT must have as their last embarkation point one of the following six cities:
- Hong Kong
- Manila; or
Chinese foreign nationals that meet the above criteria can transit Canada without obtaining a temporary resident visa at the Vancouver International Airport until September 30, 2012.
For more information on the CTT and the related TWOV Program, refer to ENF 4 and the CIC website at www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/twov/index.asp.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: