ARCHIVED – Operational Bulletin 223-C - September 13, 2012
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
This document has expired. Please refer to the appropriate Program Delivery Instructions for current information.
Transition of the China Transit Trial into the China Transit Program
The one-year China Transit Trial (CTT) has been extended on an indefinite basis and is now referred to as the China Transit Program (CTP).
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), in cooperation with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), introduced a limited one-year CTT at the Vancouver International Airport on July 30, 2009. On August 22, 2012, the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism approved the extension of the CTT for an indefinite period of time. As such, the CTT will now officially be referred to as the China Transit Program.
In order to be eligible to travel under the CTP, Chinese foreign nationals must:
- be in possession of a valid United States visa;
- be in possession of a valid passport issued by the authorities of the People’s Republic of China;
- hold a confirmed onward ticket for a connecting flight that departs Canada immediately (Chinese nationals transiting Canada under the CTP may not seek entry into Canada as a temporary resident);
- be arriving in Canada on an airline that has an up-to-date Transit Without Visa Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and China Transit Program MOU with CIC and the CBSA; and
- be transiting through the Vancouver International Airport or Toronto’s Pearson International Airport (Terminal 1 only).
Currently, the CTP is limited to five airlines — Air Canada, Jazz Aviation LP, Cathay Pacific, Philippine Airlines and Air China. In addition, Chinese nationals participating in the CTP must have as their last embarkation point one of the following six cities:
- Hong Kong;
- Manila; or
Chinese foreign nationals that meet the above criteria can transit Canada without obtaining a Temporary Resident Visa at the Vancouver International Airport or Toronto’s Pearson International Airport (Terminal 1 only).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: