Measures to support international students during the COVID-19 pandemic
A number of temporary policy changes intended to support international students, learning institutions and other stakeholders in Canada’s education sector have been implemented since March 2020, including:
- International students who had a valid study permit, or who were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020, are exempt from travel restrictions that prevented most foreign nationals from countries other than the United States from entering Canada. All students, including those entering Canada from the United States, are only admitted to Canada if their travel is essential and they have a credible plan to quarantine for 14 days.
- Students in Canada who were forced to study online, reduce their studies to part-time, or take a break from their studies completely, as a result of restrictions on classroom learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic, are allowed to continue working on- or off-campus if their study permit allows it.
- Students already in Canada were assured that they wouldn’t lose their eligibility for a post-graduation work permit if they were forced to complete more than 50% of their program online, reduce their studies to part-time or take a break from their studies completely as a result of restrictions on classroom learning due to the pandemic.
- Until August 31, 2020, international students are permitted to work more than 20 hours per week off-campus during their academic session if they are employed in an essential service or function.
- Students beginning a new study program in the 2020 spring, summer or fall semesters can begin their classes online from abroad without affecting their eligibility for a post-graduation work permit, provided they are able to complete at least 50% of their program in Canada.
- Students starting a program in the spring, summer or fall semester won’t have time deducted from the length of their post-graduation work permit for studies completed from outside Canada until the end of 2020.
- More information on the most recent updates for international students and other immigration applicants is available here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19.html
- Date modified: