Crisis in Haiti and Canada’s response

On March 3, 2024, the government of Haiti declared a state of emergency in Ouest Department, including in Port-au-Prince, in response to gang violence and the deteriorating security situation.

We urge Canadians, permanent residents and their family members to follow the travel advice for Haiti and make decisions with their safety in mind, based on the conditions on the ground.

If you intend to leave Haiti you should make sure you are prepared to travel when the situation allows it.

Measures for Haitian nationals / passport holders and family members in Canada

If you’re a Haitian national, a Haitian passport holder, or the family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who left Haiti, find out if you’re eligible for temporary measures.

Canadians, permanent residents and their immediate family members in Haiti

Canadian citizens and permanent residents

Temporary measures are in place for Canadian citizens and permanent residents who are affected by the crisis and need any of the following documents:

Temporary measures for Canadian citizens and permanent residents

Get your documents

If you don’t have valid travel documents to travel to Canada, apply for your documents as soon as possible.

Canadian citizens

Canadian citizens need a Canadian passport to travel to Canada.

Prepare a passport application

Make sure you prepare the right documents, forms and photos before you apply for a passport.

Follow the steps to renew or apply for a new passport(opens in a new tab) .

Page details

Date modified: