Permanent residence for out-of-status construction workers in the Greater Toronto Area: About the public policy

This public policy has been extended until July 2, 2024. We’ll continue to process applications received on or before this date.

About the public policy

The subsequent temporary public policy to continue to facilitate access to permanent resident status for out-of-status construction workers in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) gives a limited number of construction workers and their dependants a pathway to permanent residence.

For this public policy, the GTA is defined as the City of Toronto and the regions of

This public policy will be in effect until July 2, 2024.

About the process

If you meet the eligibility criteria, the first step is to complete the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) application intake form (PDF, 391 KB).

The CLC will check your application. If they find that you may be eligible, they’ll refer your permanent residence application to us. We make the final decision on your application.

We’re only processing up to 1,000 applications in total.

If you’re approved

While we finalize your permanent residence application, we’ll give you

Family members

If you include family members in Canada in your application for permanent residence, they also need to apply for a work permit, study permit or TRP. This will let them stay in Canada while we process the permanent residence application.

Family members included in your application who are not applying for a work or study permit must apply for a TRP. This includes any children who aren’t old enough for school yet.

They must pay the fees for the permit they’re applying for. You can apply for everything at the same time.

Page details

Date modified: