Get the support of a designated organization
Designated organizations are business groups that are approved to invest in or support possible start-ups through the Start-up Visa Program.
Organizations choose which business proposals to review. Each organization has its own intake process for proposals and criteria used to assess them. For example, you may be asked to present your business concept in person or submit a detailed business plan.
If an organization decides to review your business idea, it will assess the potential of your proposal and whether or not it will succeed.
If an organization chooses to support your business idea, it will give you a Letter of Support.
To apply for the Start-up Visa Program, your business idea or venture must get the support of one of the designated organizations listed below.
Designated venture capital funds
You must get at least one of these groups to agree to invest a minimum of $200,000:
- BDC Venture Capital
- Celtic House Venture Partners
- Extreme Venture Partners LLP
- Golden Venture Partners Fund, LP
- Impression Ventures
- Information Venture Partners Management Inc.
- Innovation Platform Capital International LP
- iNovia Capital Inc.
- Lumira Capital
- Nova Scotia Innovation Corporation (o/a Innovacorp)
- OMERS Ventures Management Inc.
- Pangaea Ventures Ltd.
- PRIVEQ Capital Funds
- Real Ventures
- Relay Ventures
- ScaleUp Venture Partners, Inc.
- Top Renergy Inc.
- Vanedge Capital Limited Partnership
- Version One Ventures
- Westcap Management Ltd.
- Yaletown Venture Partners Inc.
Designated angel investor groups
You must get one or more investors connected to these groups to agree to invest a minimum of $75,000:
Designated business incubators
You must also be accepted into one of these programs:
- Alacrity Foundation
- Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
- Biomedical Commercialization Canada Inc. (operating as Manitoba Technology Accelerator)
- Calgary Technologies Inc.
- Creative Destruction Lab
- Empowered Startups Ltd.
- Extreme Innovations
- Genesis Centre
- Highline BETA Inc.
- Interactive Niagara Media Cluster o/a Innovate Niagara
- Invest Ottawa
- Knowledge Park o/a Planet Hatch
- Launch Academy
- LaunchPad PEI Inc.
- NEXT Canada
- Real Investment Fund III L.P. o/a FounderFuel
- Ryerson Futures Inc.
- Spark Commercialization and Innovation Centre
- Spring Activator
- The DMZ at Ryerson University
- TSRV Canada Inc. (operating as Techstars Canada)
- Waterloo Accelerator Centre
- York Entrepreneurship Development Institute
Top questions about Start-up Visa
- What do I need to do to get support from an investor organization?
- How do I show that I have the support of Canadian investors?
- What is the minimum investment that I would need to apply for a start-up visa?
- Will I have to invest my own money if I want to apply for a start-up visa?
- What happens if I receive investment support from multiple designated venture capital funds or angel investor organizations?
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: