Ukrainians coming to Canada: Prepare for your trip

Before leaving for Canada, prepare as much as you can. We’ve gathered some resources to help you 

Help our settlement partners understand your needs

Take the Canadian Immigrant Settlement Sector Alliance (CISSA) survey to help them

  • understand your settlement needs (including what services are most important and where they’ll be needed)
  • connect you to community services when you need them

CISSA (opens in a new tab)  is not a part of the Government of Canada. Taking this survey is voluntary and will not affect your immigration status or your access to settlement services.

Take the survey (opens in a new tab) 

Plan your trip to Canada

Before you leave for Canada, make sure you understand

Decide where to live

Canada is a big place with many diverse cities and regions to explore. Deciding where to live can be a difficult choice.

Get your documents ready

Gather all the documents that you can find for you and your family. If you have some documents ready, it will make your arrival in Canada easier.

If your documents aren’t in English or French, it’s a good idea to get them translated before you leave for Canada or when you arrive.

You don’t have to bring all of these documents. If you’ve already left and don’t have some of them, you may want to have someone send them to you after you arrive.

These documents will make travelling to Canada easier
  • birth certificates
  • Ukrainian internal passports
  • travel documents, including
    • international passports
    • single-journey travel documents
  • valid Canadian temporary resident visas
  • certificates, including
    • marriage
    • adoption
    • separation or divorce
    • death
  • immunization or vaccination records for children
These documents will make it easier to apply for programs and services when you arrive:
  • your driver’s licence, including
    • an international driver’s permit
    • a driving record
  • documents related to your education, including
    • diplomas or degrees
    • transcripts and other school records
  • trade and professional certificates or licences
  • letters of reference from former employers
  • your medical records, such as
    • prescriptions
    • test results
    • X-rays
    • allergies
    • dental records

Scan or take pictures of your documents in case you lose the originals.

Learn more about the documents you’ll need to cross the border.

Getting help in Canada

Learn how to get free settlement support, services and information.

Page details

Date modified: