Apply for, renew or replace a PR card: Who can apply
New permanent residents
New permanent residents don’t need to apply for a permanent resident card (PR card). We will send one to you when you immigrate to Canada if you tell us your Canadian mailing address. You have 180 days after immigrating to send it to us. If we don’t get it in time, then you have to apply for your card. There is a $50 processing fee for PR card applications.
To be eligible for a PR card, you need to:
- be a permanent resident, and
- submit your application in Canada.
You should only apply for a PR card if:
- your card has expired or will expire in less than 9 months
- your card is lost, stolen, or destroyed
- you didn’t receive your card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada
- you need to update your card to:
- legally change your name
- change your citizenship
- change your gender designation
- correct your date of birth
Otherwise, we may not process your application.
You aren’t eligible for a PR card if you were asked by the Government of Canada to leave the country. If you are a Canadian citizen, you can’t have (and don’t need) a PR card. If you become a Canadian citizen, give us your PR card at your citizenship ceremony.
Time lived in Canada
To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days.
To help you track your time in Canada, use a travel journal. Other ways to know how long you’ve been in Canada:
- Ask a Canadian border officer when you enter Canada.
- Apply for or renew your PR card. We will tell you if you’re eligible.
Top questions about the permanent resident card
- What happens if my PR card expires while I am outside Canada?
- I’m a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
- How do I renew my permanent resident card?
- I have reclaimed my Indigenous name. How do I update my PR card?
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: