Health-care workers permanent residence pathway: About the public policies
About the public policies
This application process offers refugee claimants the option to apply for permanent residence if they
- have worked a minimum number of hours in Canada’s health-care sector during the COVID-19 pandemic
- provided direct patient care as part of their job
- meet all other eligibility criteria
You can apply if you meet the eligibility requirements and you’re
- a pending or failed refugee claimant who made a refugee claim in Canada prior to March 13, 2020, and you still live in Canada
- the spouse or common-law partner of an eligible refugee claimant if
- the refugee claimant contracted COVID-19 and passed away from it
- you have been in Canada since before August 14, 2020
Learn more about the 2 public policies we used to create this pathway to permanent residence.
To create this process, we used
- a public policy that applies to applicants planning to live outside Quebec
- a separate public policy that applies to applicants planning to live inside Quebec
- The Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration du Québec (MIFI) will assess your work experience if you plan to live in Quebec.
About the process
If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for permanent residence. Once we get your application, we’ll
- check that your application is complete and that you’re eligible to apply
- advise the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) that you’ve applied so they can put your pending refugee claim on hold
- refer your case to the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration du Québec (MIFI), if you plan to live in Quebec
- They will review your work experience and inform us of their decision.
- check that you meet the required work experience
If we confirm you’re eligible and that you have the work experience:
- any removal order you’re under will be stayed until we make a final decision on your application
- we’ll invite you and your family members to
- complete medical examinations
- pass our criminal and security checks
- we’ll inform you of our decision when we're done processing your application
Apply separately to extend an expiring work or study permit
If you’re applying to renew your study or work permit at the same time as your application for permanent residence, don’t include the applications in the same envelope.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: