Environmental Assessment Agreements
Many agreements are in place to evaluate proposed projects in a more efficient, predictable and accountable manner.
- Federal-Provincial/Territorial Impact Assessment Cooperation Agreements
- Memoranda of Understanding
- Federal-Provincial/Territorial EA Cooperation Agreements
- Other Federal-Provincial/Territorial Agreements
- Federal-Aboriginal Agreements
- International Agreements
Federal-Provincial/Territorial Impact Assessment Cooperation Agreements
Under the new Impact Assessment Act, the Government of Canada is committed to meeting the objective of "one project, one assessment" in its review of projects. Working with provincial, territorial and Indigenous jurisdictions will result in better coordination and alignment of impact assessment timelines and procedures.
- Cooperative Impact Assessments (Infographic)
- Canada - British Columbia Impact Assessment Cooperation Agreement
Memoranda of Understanding
Interim Memorandum of Understanding with the National Energy Board
On June 18, 2019, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency and the National Energy Board entered into a Memorandum of Understanding establishing how the organizations will work together to integrate the regulatory requirements under the Canadian Energy Regulator Act into the impact assessment process under the Impact Assessment Act. The details of the cooperative process will be outlined in protocols to be attached to the memorandum. The protocols will be evergreen documents that will be updated as required to reflect best practices and lessons learned in the ongoing conduct of integrated impact assessments.
- Interim Memorandum of Understanding concerning Integrated Impact Assessments under the proposed Impact Assessment Act between the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency and the National Energy Board
Memoranda of Understanding on Substitution under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (the Agency) and the British Columbia Environmental Assessment Office (EAO) on Substitution of Environmental Assessments (2013)
Federal-Provincial/Territorial EA Cooperation Agreements
- Canada - Alberta Agreement for Environmental Assessment Cooperation
- Canada - British Columbia Agreement for Environmental Assessment Cooperation
- Canada - Manitoba Agreement on Environmental Assessment Cooperation
- Canada - Newfoundland and Labrador Agreement for Environmental Assessment Cooperation
- Canada - Ontario Agreement on Environmental Assessment Cooperation
- Canada - Quebec Agreement on Environmental Assessment Cooperation
- Canada - Saskatchewan Agreement on Environmental Assessment Cooperation
- Canada - Yukon Agreement on Environmental Assessment Cooperation
Other Federal-Provincial/Territorial Agreements
- CCME Canada-wide Accord on Environmental Harmonization (1998)
Agreements with Aboriginal groups help to harmonize the federal and environmental assessment processes and promote an open and participatory process for assessing the environmental implications of projects on Aboriginal lands. They ensure that resources are used efficiently and effectively and that only a single assessment occurs for one project. They also improve the integration of environmental and economic considerations.
The Government of Canada recognizes the need to ensure that actions undertaken in Canada do not cause environmental harm to other nations. It actively promotes and fosters cooperation in Canada and abroad regarding transboundary environmental impacts. Such efforts lead to agreements that address environmental impacts that may cross borders and that foster sound environmental practices and international cooperation.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: