Appointments to the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
February 14, 2018 – Ottawa
In Canada, we know that diversity is a source of our strength. Whether it is in our communities and schools or our businesses and laboratories, we believe that diverse perspectives lead to greater knowledge, innovation and prosperity for all.
This value is true in our governing bodies: the boards and councils that oversee public institutions committed to serving Canadians. The Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science and Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, today announced the appointment and renewal of several diverse members of the governing council for the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). They are:
- Dr. Christine Allen, Professor and the GlaxoSmithKline Chair in Pharmaceutics and Drug Delivery in the Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy at the University of Toronto
- Dr. Anne Condon, Professor, Computer Science, University of British Columbia
- Dr. Nancy Déziel, Director General, Centre national en électrochimie et en technologies environnementales; member of the National Research Council’s Industrial Research Assistance Program Advisory Board and Shawinigan City Councillor for the District de la Rivière
- Dr. Karen Dodds, former Assistant Deputy Minister at Environment and Climate Change Canada and Health Canada (retired)
- Dr. Anas El-Aneed, Associate Professor, Health Sciences, University of Saskatchewan
- Dr. Brian Fisher, Professor in the School of Interactive Arts and Technology at Simon Fraser University and Associate Director of the Media and Graphics Interdisciplinary Centre at the University of British Columbia
- Dr. Zachary Hudson, Assistant Professor and Canada Research Chair, Sustainable Chemistry, University of British Columbia
- Dr. Digvir Jayas, Vice-President of Research and International, Professor of Agricultural Engineering, University of Manitoba (reappointment)
- Dr. Jeremy Kerr, Professor, Biology, University of Ottawa
- Dr. Sophie LaRochelle, Professor and Canada Research Chair, University of Laval
- Ms. Tanya McDonald, Vice-President, Advancement, Olds College
- Dr. Douglas Muzyka, former Senior Vice-President, Chief Science and Technology Officer, DuPont (retired)
- Dr. Misheck Mwaba, Vice-President, Academic, Bow Valley College
- Dr. Helge Seetzen, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Tandem Launch
- Dr. Kevin Vessey, Professor, Department of Biology, Saint Mary's University
NSERC is the federal research funding agency that helps make Canada a country of discoverers and innovators for the benefit of all Canadians. The agency plays an important role in Canada’s research and scientific landscape. NSERC invests over $1.2 billion each year in natural sciences and engineering research in Canada.
“I welcome the returning and newly appointed council members to Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. The candidates represent a diverse cross-section of the research community, and their wealth of experience will help the Council generate innovative ideas to further our country’s reputation as an international research leader.”
– The Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science and Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities
NSERC's governing body is a council composed of 18 distinguished Canadians. The Council is advised by various standing and advisory committees that are guided by a peer review process.
In 2016, the Government of Canada adopted a new approach to Governor in Council appointments. This approach strives for gender parity and is supported by an open, transparent and merit-based selection process: one that will result in the recommendation of exceptionally competent candidates who truly reflect Canada's diversity.
The terms of these appointments are staggered between two and three years’ duration.
Ann Marie Paquet
Office of the Minister of Science
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: