What's New: The Canadian Forces Grievance Board’s Name Changed to Military Grievances External Review Committee

June 19, 2013

The name of the Canadian Forces Grievance Board (CFGB), a federal tribunal mandated to review certain grievances submitted by members of the military, has been changed to Military Grievances External Review Committee (MGERC). The new name became effective on June 19, 2013.

This is an important change we have been pursuing for several years to eliminate a common misconception that the Board is an organization internal to the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces (CF), said the Chairperson, Bruno Hamel.

He said that shortly after its inception, in 2000, the Board became aware that the inclusion of the words “Canadian Forces” in its name was responsible for this erroneous impression, thus undermining its credibility as an independent and neutral organization.

The new name will lead to a better understanding of the specific and unique role for which this department was created – to be the external and independent component of the military grievance process, explained Mr. Hamel. I am very pleased that, through the enactment of Bill C-15 (An Act to amend the National Defence Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts), the new name which underlines the Committee’s institutional independence is finally approved, he added.

The MGERC, formerly the CFGB, is an independent administrative tribunal reporting to Parliament through the Minister of National Defence. The Committee reviews military grievances referred to it pursuant to s. 29 of the National Defence Act and provides findings and recommendations to the Chief of the Defence Staff and the CF member who submitted the grievance. The Committee consists of Governor in Council appointees supported in reviewing grievances by analysts and legal counsel.

For additional information regarding the Committee, please visit our Web site.

Please address any media inquiries to Najwa Asmar at najwa.asmar@cfgb-cgfc.gc.ca or, by phone, at 613-995-5120.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: