The Governments of Canada and Quebec Support Forest Innovation and Job Retention in Mont-Laurier
Mont-Laurier, April 15, 2019 – Investments in the forestry sector spur innovation, economic growth and job creation for our citizens. That is why the governments of Canada and Quebec are providing financial assistance totalling $8.4 million to Uniboard Canada Inc. The company, which has five plants in Quebec, operates the province’s only medium- and high-density fibreboard plant, located in Mont-Laurier.
The investment project, valued at more than $17 million, will enable the Mont-Laurier facilities to develop a system that will recover heat, currently dissipated into the atmosphere, and redirect it to the fibre drying system. This new process will significantly reduce the company's CO2 emissions and increase the plant’s production capacity, thereby improving competitiveness with foreign manufacturers. About 100 jobs will also be saved as a result of the project.
For this project, Natural Resources Canada is allocating a non-repayable contribution of $4.9 million from the Investments in Forest Industry Transformation (IFIT) program, Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED) is providing a repayable contribution of $1 million, and the Ministère des Forêts de la Faune et des Parcs is granting $2.5 million through the Wood Innovation Program.
- Uniboard Canada employs 861 people in its five Quebec mills located in the Abitibi-Témiscamingue, Bas-Saint-Laurent and Laurentides regions, and in Laval.
- The Wood Innovation Program is one of the key measures in the 2018–2023 Development Strategy for Quebec’s Forest Products Industry to meet the various challenges facing the forest products industry.
- The IFIT Program supports forest sector competitiveness by collaborating with forestry companies to eliminate the risks associated with new technologies, promote the deployment of new high-value products and optimize the use of underutilized wood fibre. It is a key factor for achieving the Forest Bioeconomy Framework for Canada.
- CED’s funding was provided through the Quebec Economic Development Program.
- To find out more about NRCan, visit https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/home or Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebookand YouTube
- To find out more about CED and its priorities, see the 2018-19 Departmental Plan, visit the website www.dec-ced.gc.ca or follow CED on Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube
- For information on the Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs and to learn more about its activities and achievements, visit mffp.gouv.qc.ca and social media:
“Innovative companies like Uniboard help position Quebec and Canada as leaders in the forestry sector, while creating good jobs in the region and protecting our environment. That is why our government is proud to contribute to the project that was announced today. This investment demonstrates once again our determination to support innovation in the forest industry in Quebec and Canada, for the benefit of future generations.”
David Graham, MP for Laurentides–Labelle
“Uniboard Canada Inc.’s investments are fully consistent with the objectives of the 2018–2023 Development Strategy for the Quebec Forest Products Industry. The main objective of the Strategy is to support companies whose projects are synonymous with innovation and creativity, two qualities that ensure the kind of competitiveness that travels beyond borders in many cases.”
Pierre Dufour, Minister of Forests, Wildlife and Parks and Minister responsible for the Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region and the Nord-du-Québec Region
“As Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, my goal is to help businesses grow, innovate and export so that they can create good quality jobs and wealth for Canadians. Uniboard Canada has found innovative solutions for improving its processes, adapting to change and taking the necessary steps to ensure growth. By supporting this project, the Government of Canada is staying true to the commitments it has made to get results for Canadians.”
The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister responsible for CED
“Uniboard Canada Inc. contributes significantly to improving the province’s trade balance, with more than 60 percent of its production sold outside Quebec. The investments announced today will benefit not only Mont-Laurier but the entire region as well.”
Chantale Jeannotte, Member for Labelle
“Innovation in our technological processes is one of the key elements of our operational excellence. This project builds on previous announcements of expansion and modernization in Val-d'Or and Sayabec, demonstrating that we are pursuing our commitment to growth.”
James N. Hogg, President and CEO of Uniboard
Office of the Minister of Forests, Wildlife and Parks and Minister responsible for the Abitibi-Témiscamingue and Nord-du-Québec Regions
Office of the Minister of Natural Resources
Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: