HMCS Jolliet

There has been only one establishment named Jolliet in the Royal Canadian Navy.

HMCS Jolliet / Naval Reserve Division

HMCS Jolliet

HMCS Jolliet is the 22nd Naval Reserve division of Canada, the most recent division to be established in the Province of Quebec. The commissioning ceremony took place at Sept-Îles on 7 October 1989, presided over by the Honourable Mary Collins, Associate Minister of National Defence. A number of other dignitaries were in attendance as well, including Vice-Admiral R.E.D. George, Commander Maritime Command.

HMCS Jolliet was named after the great explorer and cartographer Louis Jolliet, who lived from 1645 to 1700. He sailed in the Canadian midwest and discovered the Mississippi River. He is believed to have owned a few acres of land in Moisie, near Sept-Îles. Louis Jolliet died a poor man on one of the Mingan Islands, and it is believed that his remains are still there.

The first building to house HMCS Jolliet was a former elementary school, École Saint-Paul, located at 652 Dequen, which had been leased from the school board. In November 1993, construction was completed, and HMCS Jolliet moved into its own permanent facilities at 366 Arnaud. The complex is comprised of a main drill hall, a boathouse and an indoor firing range.

Motto: Omnia perrumpimus” (Nothing can stop us)


Page details

Date modified: