There has been only one vessel named Kincardine in the Royal Canadian Navy.
HMCS Kincardine (K490)
Laid down as HMS Tamworth Castle, the Castle Class corvette Kincardine was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy and commissioned at Middlesbrough, North East England, on June 19, 1944.
After working up at Tobermory and Stornoway, Scotland, she arrived at Londonderry, Northern Ireland, late in August 1944 to join Escort Group C-2, but had to return to her builders for repairs. Returning to Londonderry in mid-September, she remained on local duties until 2 October, when she left to join her first convoy, ON.257.
Kincardine served as an ocean escort for the remainder of the war, leaving Londonderry for the last time in June 1945. Briefly allocated to the naval training establishment in Deep Brook, Nova Scotia, HMCS Cornwallis, for training in July, she then underwent a minor refit at Liverpool, Nova Scotia. Placed in maintenance reserve at Halifax, Nova Scotia, in October, she was paid off there on February 27, 1946.
Later that year, she was sold to the French government and resold in 1947 to Moroccan interests and renamed Saada. In 1958, she was acquired by the Burmese Navy and renamed Van Myo Aung.
- Builder: Smith's Dock Co., South Bank-on-Tees, United Kingdom.
- Laid down: August 25, 1943
- Launched: January 26, 1944
- Commissionning date: June 19, 1944
- Paying off date: February 27, 1946
- Displacement: 1,060 tons
- Dimensions: 76.7 m x 9.8 m x 3.1 m
- Speed: 16 knots
- Crew: 112
- Armament: one 4-inch (102-mm) gun, six 20-mm guns (2 double mounts, 2 single mounts), one Squid mortar, depth charges
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: