CNSC publishes REGDOC-2.9.1, Environmental Protection: Environmental Principles, Assessments and Protection Measures
December 19, 2016 – Ottawa, ON
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC)has published REGDOC-2.9.1, Environmental Protection: Environmental Principles, Assessments and Protection Measures.
This document supersedes P-223, Protection of the Environment and REGDOC-2.9.1, Environmental Protections: Policies, Programs and Procedures. REGDOC-2.9.1 provides all environmental principles, assessments and protection measures in a single environmental protection regulatory document.
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect the health, safety and security and the environment; to implement Canada’s international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy; and to disseminate objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public.
- The CNSC requires the environmental effects of all nuclear facilities or activities to be considered and evaluated when licensing decisions are made.
- Every applicant or licensee must have environmental protection measures, commensurate with the scale and complexity of the environmental risks associated with the nuclear facility or activity.
- CNSC staff carry out an environmental assessment (EA) under the Nuclear Safety and Control Act (NSCA) as part of the CNSC’s review of all licence applications.
- In addition to regulatory requirements under the NSCA for environmental protection, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 (CEAA 2012) applies for designated projects and for projects proposed to be carried out on federal lands, as defined in section 66 of CEAA 2012.
- In accordance with CEAA 2012, the CNSC is the sole federal responsible authority for conducting EAs for designated projects regulated under the NSCA and described in the Regulations Designating Physical Activities .
- The CNSC welcomes feedback at any time on regulatory documents.
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
Search for related information by keyword
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: