Symptoms of cholera
Learn about the symptoms of cholera and what to do if you become ill.
On this page
What are the symptoms of cholera?
Most people who have cholera do not show any symptoms or may experience mild illness.
If you do show symptoms, you may experience:
- leg cramps
- watery diarrhea
In its most severe form, you can experience a sudden onset of profuse, painless, and watery diarrhea.
- can appear 12 hours to 5 days after you are infected
- can lead to serious dehydration (loss of fluids) and even death if not treated quickly
What do you do if you become ill?
Consult a health care provider immediately if you:
- develop severe diarrhea or vomiting during or after travel
- have any of the listed symptoms or think you have cholera
Tell your health care provider:
- your symptoms
- which countries you visited or lived in
Start drinking plenty of fluids and use oral rehydration salts to prevent dehydration.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: