Prevention of Giardia infection (giardiasis)
Learn how Giardia infection can be prevented.
On this page
How to prevent Giardia infection
You can reduce your risk of becoming ill from Giardia infection if you:
- avoid drinking:
- water that may be contaminated
- untreated water from streams, rivers or lakes
- follow general food safety practices
- practise safe sex and wash hands after contact with stool
- wash your hands often with clean running water and soap
- avoid contact when possible with infected animals, such as pets
- avoid swallowing untreated water used for recreational activities, such as swimming
Access to safe drinking water may be an issue for people who are:
- travelling to countries where Giardia infection is common
In these cases, it is best to avoid swallowing untreated water.
Municipal water treatment authorities reduce the risk of Giardia infection in drinking water using treatment methods such as:
If there is a suspected or actual outbreak of Giardia related to drinking water, municipalities will generally issue a boil-water advisory. This is done to help control the spread of illness.
- Date modified: