Surveillance of Giardia infection (giardiasis)
Learn how Giardia infection is monitored.
On this page
- Number of cases of Giardia infection in Canada
- How Canada monitors Giardia infection
- For more information
Number of cases of Giardia infection in Canada
In 2016, there were 3,818 reported cases of giardiasis.
How Canada monitors Giardia infection
Canada uses different surveillance systems to monitor cases of food-borne illness. These include:
- FoodNet Canada
- National Enteric Surveillance Program (NESP)
- Canadian Notifiable Disease Surveillance System
Giardia is a nationally notifiable disease and is reported by all provinces and territories.
Cases are reported to:
- provincial or territorial departments of health
- the federal government, if they meet the national case definition
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: