Advice to travellers to Zika–affected countries
Protect against Zika virus by preventing mosquito bites
Pregnant Women & those planning a pregnancy
- Avoid travel to areas of ongoing Zika virus outbreaks.
- If travel cannot be avoided or postponed, strict mosquito bite prevention measures should be followed.
Mosquitoes bite in daylight and evening hours
Prevent mosquito bites:
- Use insect repellent
- Cover up: wear light-coloured long-sleeved shirts and long pants
- Use bed nets: use them also to cover playpens, cribs or strollers
- Stay in rooms with air conditioning
- Keep windows/door screens in good repair
Monitor your health and watch for these symptoms:
- low-grade fever
- red eyes
- muscle or joint pain
- lack of energy
If you get sick while travelling or within 14 days after your return, see a health care provider and tell them where you have been travelling or living.
For more information: Canada.ca/zika-virus
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: