Adults aged 65+ are often prescribed antibiotics for infections.
You may be at increased risk of infections if you:
- Are frequently exposed to healthcare settings where infections can easily spread.
- Live in a care facility or residence in close contact with others.
- Have a weakened immune system.
Here are some tips to prevent infections:
- Make sure your vaccinations are up to date.
- Clean common surfaces with soap and water.
- Keep hands clean, and cough and sneeze into your sleeve or tissue.
- Store, handle and prepare food safely.
If you are diagnosed with an infection: Talk to your healthcare provider to see if antibiotics are the best treatment option. You may not need antibiotics, but if you do, take them as prescribed.
To learn more, please visit: Canada.ca/antibiotics
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: