Canadians are invited to share their experiences with telecommunications sales practices
“To provide a meaningful report to the government, it is important that we hear from Canadians across the country. We invite them to share their personal experiences with their telecommunications service providers in terms of misleading or aggressive retail sales practices. In particular, we encourage current and former employees as well as those who are more likely to be affected by these sales practices – such as seniors and people living with a disability or whose first language is neither English nor French – to come forward with their stories.”
- Ian Scott, Chairperson and Chief Executive Officer of the CRTC
On June 6, 2018, the Governor-in-Council used its power under Section 14 of the Telecommunications Act to direct the CRTC to prepare a report regarding the retail sales practices of Canada’s large telecommunications service providers.
The CRTC will take a close look at these issues, including:
- Misleading practices such as failing to provide consumers with the information necessary to make informed decisions or providing incomplete, unclear or misleading information.
- Aggressive sales practices including offering products to consumers that are unsuitable for them and the abuse of an ill-informed consumer base in order to benefit the providers.
- The harm, or risk of harm, to consumers related to their finances or situations that could cause stress, confusion and frustration as a result of aggressive or misleading sales practices.
The CRTC today issued requests for information regarding sales practices and policies to large telecommunications service providers:
- Bell Canada
- Rogers Communications
- Shaw Communications
- TELUS Communications
- Xplornet Communications
The comments collected through these requests will help shape the next phases of the public consultation.
The CRTC must submit its report to the government by February 28, 2019.
- Notice of consultation- Report regarding the retail sales practices of Canada’s large telecommunications carriers
- Request for Information - Report regarding the retail sales practices of Canada’s large telecommunications carriers
- Order in Council concerning high-pressure telecommunications sales practices
- Telecommunications Act
- Inquiry on use of misleading or aggressive sales practices by large telecommunications service providers
In Canada, toll-free: 1-877-249-CRTC (2782)
Outside Canada: 819-997-0313
In Canada toll-free: 1-877-909-CRTC (2782)
Outside Canada: 819-994-0423
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: