CSIS at a Glance
- Investigate activities suspected of constituting threats to the security of Canada.
- Advise the Government of these threats.
- Take lawful measures to reduce threats to the security of Canada.
Threats to the Security of Canada
- Terrorism and violent extremism
- Espionage and sabotage
- Foreign influenced activities
- Subversion of government
- Nearly 80 arrangements with domestic partners
- Over 300 arrangements with foreign partners in 150 countries and territories
- Canadian Public
- Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
- Federal Court
- Attorney General
- National Security and Intelligence Review Agency
- Intelligence Commissioner
- National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians
- Auditor General
- Privacy Commissioner
- Information Commissioner
- Commissioner of Official Languages
Duties and Functions
- Investigate activities suspected of constituting threats to the security of Canada and report on these to the Government of Canada.
- Take measures to reduce threats if there are reasonable grounds to believe the activity constitutes a threat to the security of Canada.
- Provide security assessments on individuals who require access to classified information or sensitive sites within the Government of Canada.
- Provide security advice relevant to the exercise of the Citizenship Act or the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- Conduct foreign intelligence collection within Canada at the request of the Minister of Foreign Affairs or the Minister of National Defence.
Departmental Results Framework and Financial Reporting
- CSIS obtains relevant information and intelligence to carry out its national security activities.
- CSIS intelligence informs government decisions and actions relating to Canada’s security and national interests.
- CSIS threat reduction measures diminish threats to the security and safety of Canada and Canadians.
- The assessments of the Integrated Terrorism Assessment Centre (ITAC) inform Government of Canada’s decisions and actions relating to the terrorism threat.
- Operational Program Management
- Regional Collection
- Operations Enablement
- Intelligence Assessment and Dissemination
- Security Screening
- Integrated Terrorism Assessment Centre
Long description of infographic : Actual expenditures
CSIS expenditures from 2014-2019
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: