Minister's Role and Accountabilities
- Overall Direction to CSIS
- Issue directions to the Director (e.g. intelligence priorities, operations, accountability).
- Approve application to the Federal Court for warrants for more intrusive collection techniques and for certain threat reduction measures.
- Justification Framework
- Determine the classes of acts or omissions.
- Designate CSIS employees and senior employees under the framework.
- Datasets Framework
- Determine the classes of Canadian datasets CSIS may collect.
- Approve applications to the Federal Court for the retention of Canadian datasets.
- Domestic & Foreign Arrangements
- Approve arrangements with federal departments, provincial governments, and police forces as well as foreign partners.
- Foreign Intelligence
- Authorize CSIS to collect foreign intelligence, further to a request from the Minister of Foreign Affairs or National Defence.
Transparency, Review and Accountability
- Publish an annual report on the justification framework
- Table the CSIS Annual Public Report in Parliament.
- May refer a national security matter to a review body.
- Provide the Attorney General with a report from the Director on possible unlawful activities.
Notification by CSIS
- Provided with a classified annual report of CSIS' operational activities.
- Notified prior to CSIS undertaking high risk operations or operational activities where a novel authority, technique, or technology is used.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Thank you for your help!
You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.
- Date modified: