Registering a sole proprietorship or partnership

To register as a sole proprietor or partnership, you may need to:

  • register your business with the provinces and territories where you plan to do business
  • get a federal business number and tax accounts
  • apply for any permits and licences your business may need

Register with your province or territory

Most businesses need to register with the provinces and territories where they plan to do business. In some cases, sole proprietorships operating under the name of the business owner do not need to register. See the website of your provincial or territorial business registrar for more information on their requirements.

Note: This list of links is provided for your convenience. It may not be a comprehensive list of the registration requirements in all provinces and territories. Please check with the authorities in your provincial or territorial government to determine if there is anything else you need to do.

Note: In Newfoundland and Labrador, there is no provincial government registration for sole proprietorships or partnerships.

Federal business number and tax accounts

Your business may need a federal business number and related tax accounts.

If you register your business in one of the following provinces, you will automatically receive your federal business number as part of your provincial registration:

  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • Nova Scotia
  • Ontario
  • Saskatchewan

If your business is in another province or territory and you need a business number, you need to register for a business number with us.

Find out if you need a federal business number

Register for a business number

Permits and licences

You may also need permits and licences from the federal, provincial/territorial and municipal governments.

Get a list of permits and licences you may need from all three levels of government

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: